Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting Pistol Suggestions >

Hunting Pistol Suggestions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting Pistol Suggestions

Old 04-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Hunting Pistol Suggestions

I have been thinking about getting a hunting pistol for a while now and i think i have finally convinced myself but i have a few questions. I live in michigan and we are allowed to hunt in the shotgun only zone with a pistol so i thought i might give it a try. I will be using the gun only for whitetail hunting. No need for personal defense or anything like that...

From what i understand agood caliber choice is the .44mag and there is a great variety of guns to choose from.

What should i be looking for in a hunting pistol and what are some of the best brands and calibers.

I have been looking at the S&W Profermance .44's and the all the Ruger models in the 6" - 7 1/2" in barrel size.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Pistol Suggestions

I'm a big fan of Ruger single actions. Strong, they work well, and won't cost a fortune. Nice thing about the 44 Maggie is the variety of ammo you can buy right off the shelf. Even my daughters stepped up to try my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. It will bark and climb, but no harm... except for whatever is downrange!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ajax

I have been looking at the S&W Profermance .44's and the all the Ruger models in the 6" - 7 1/2" in barrel size.
I have a performance model 460smith. And I will tell you, I am very impressed with it. It has shot 3" groups at 200 yards. No lie. Amazing gun. I also love the Rugers. But never saw one shoot like that. But mine is a 10.5" barrel.

I wouldn't hesitate to look at the light hunter by smith.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think for a revolver, single action is the way to go. You won't use double action in the field most likely. For the best, Freedom Arms, but you'd be more than suited with one of the Ruger SA's. I prefer the .45 Colt or .41 magnum but the .44 is more than adequate.
Another type to consider are the single shots. Thompson Center, Competitor, MOA, HS Precision, EA Brown, plenty of choices here. With these you can get a lot wider choice for chamberings.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Ruger Super Redhawk....really accurate!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you simply want the very best, its the S&W 460. There's not another revolver out there that can match its speed or its versitility. It will shoot all of the 460 rounds, 454 casuls, and also 45 longs. Bigcountry is on the markon how accurate they are. I've only been shooting mine for a while and I can't believe the accuracy and the groups that I can shoot.(and I'm not a very good shot) Whatever handgun you use, I recommend aBurris scope with posi lock, to handle the recoil. Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Comparing a Performance Center S&W to a Ruger is like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto. The Performance Center pistol is about the best you can get without going full blown custom. Go S&W all the way. Or else go with a Thompson Center single shot. Big Country is right about the 460. I believe the 44 mag. is adequate, but if you think you can handle the 460 then go with it. You can shoot the 45 Colt's in the pistol, and the 45 Colt is more than adequate for hunting.

Here is a picture of mine. Tom.