Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What caliber for an Autoloader?? >

What caliber for an Autoloader??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What caliber for an Autoloader??

Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Default What caliber for an Autoloader??

I'm new to this website but have been a guest for a while and really respect everyones knowledge of pistols.

If and when my state becomes a CC state what caliber would anyone suggest? This new pistol may also be utilized as a backup for archery bear hunting also. As of now I'm leaning toward a Glock pistol but that's not set in stone. Forhanguns, I own two already, GP100 .357 and a Ruger .22 and shoot both of theseok but would like to purchase a larger autoloader.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What caliber for an Autoloader??

Back-up for bear and Concealed Carry are kind of mutually exclusive. I guess if it were me (and I'm assuming you're talking about black bears), I'd get one of the various 1911's chambered in .45 acp. For carry, something in a Commander size (4" barrel") and probably an alloy frame for weight reduction. I don't particularly care for Glocks, as, for me, the grip angle is wrong, and they don't point as naturally as a 1911.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

For bear, I would get either a Taurus, ora Smith & Wesson in .40 S&W, it's powerful, and it's got rapid fire.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .40 Short & Weak? If you're thinking about moving down to a .40 caliber for bears and you're looking at Glocks, I'd look closely at the 10mm. Unfortunately, ammo is a bit more pricey, but, it's a better performer than the .40 S&W (and more potent than the .45 acp as well...).
Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Guys thanks for the quick responses. I should have clarified it's for black bear and purely a back up.... I've had them sniff up the tree and that's ok but sometimes a tap on the nose with an arrow doesn't always work. Another situation for use issneaking into a bait, only once did one bluff charge me but that was enough to make up my mind to carry a handgun, hence the .357 purchase.

The autoload future purchase would be a second option for the black bear and double as a CC.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The .40 Short & Weak?
The 40 Smth and Wesson is a great backup cartridge, and you'rea guy with a really bad temper. Just realize, that you're in a hunting forum, and your suggestion mght not be the best, that's true for all of us, so instead of mocking other people's guns that they're proud of, just kindly suggest otherwise or shut the crap up!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The .40 Short & Weak?
The 40 Smth and Wesson is a great backup cartridge, and you'rea guy with a really bad temper. Just realize, that you're in a hunting forum, and your suggestion mght not be the best, that's true for all of us, so instead of mocking other people's guns that they're proud of, just kindly suggest otherwise or shut the crap up!!!!
He didn't do anything other than state his opnion. So why don't you settle down a little bit.

If I'm not mistaken, you aren't even old enough to purchase a firearm, so how would you know what was a good gun to reccomend? Do you have lots of pistol experience??

Back to the original post now. I would reccomend a Springfield XD in 45ACP as a minimum gun.

I am also not a fan of the Glocks because of the grip angle on them.

I have a 40SW, and I'm not so sure I'd want that gun in my hands if I had a pissed off bear charging me....
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM

I couldn't agree more with ipscshooter and Rammer.
A .45 acp is the mostquintessential handgun I can think of for CC and combat shooting. If it is going to spend more time on your hip under a vest or jacket than in your hand as a bear backup I'd opt for a 4" model that conceals well and has ease of draw from a CC holster.
As for bears, well the .45 ACP will kill one when the bullet is properly placed. Don't spray and pray, aim and squeeze off one or two well placed rounds with 230 grain ball ammo. A 185 grHP may not get to the spot you want it to go. I was taught that guys who carried a .45 ACP for a living would switch their ammo in the winter to 230 grain ball ammo to get enough penetration on the heavy winter coats and clothing that people wore. Need I say more?
If you can get two guns, keep the .45 under your vest and buy a Ruger or S&W .44 mag. There's no question as to the ability of this cartridge to be very accurate and to send large critters to their demise!!
Good luck...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

If I'm not mistaken, you aren't even old enough to purchase a firearm, so how would you know what was a good gun to reccomend? Do you have lots of pistol experience??
Yes, I have good experiance with the modernnon-magnum centerfire pistols, I have fired the 9mm,the 40 S&W, the .38 Special (Not a gun I would want for bear,I almost doubt it will pierce a wood door with just the plain lead bullets) My dad got rid of his .380 Auto before I could fire it.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you like glocks check out the model 21. 13rd 45acp. dont know if you have expirience with glocks or not but since you mentioned them i thought id pass that on..though its a littttle large for CC..its full sized..could carry it if you wanted..dad just bought a 21 and he loves it. i dont know that i liked it..grip was pretty wide for me but shoots well..also check out other 45s. see what fits your hand and what you like. i personally like sig sauers glocks and kimber 1911s but thats me. id definently probably stick with a 45. ammo is generally readily available and it packs its punch.

Quick Reply: What caliber for an Autoloader??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.