Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What caliber for an Autoloader??

Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What caliber for an Autoloader??

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

The .40 Short & Weak?
The 40 Smth and Wesson is a great backup cartridge, and you'rea guy with a really bad temper. Just realize, that you're in a hunting forum, and your suggestion mght not be the best, that's true for all of us, so instead of mocking other people's guns that they're proud of, just kindly suggest otherwise or shut the crap up!!!!
I've got a bad temper and I need to shut the crap up??? hahahahahahaha...

Dude, I was joking in part. The .40 isn't a bad cartridge. Lots of guys use them in IPSC matches, and that's where I picked up the "short & weak" reference. In competition circles, that is a common joke. That's all. The .40 is a nice compromise between the 9mm and the .45 acp for a carry gunand for self defense against angry humans. But, I just think I'd want a bit more if I had an angrybear chasing me up a tree because, frankly, I can't climb very fast. Hence my recommendation that I like the .45 but, if using a .40 caliber the 10mm would be better.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hodag Hunter

(snip)

If and when my state becomes a CC state what caliber would anyone suggest? This new pistol may also be utilized as a backup for archery bear hunting also. As of now I'm leaning toward a Glock pistol but that's not set in stone.

If you do like the Glock, and want enough power to stop a bear that has been shot poorly, or just doesn't like the cut of your coat, then I would suggest a 10mm, loaded with Corbon's. Glock makes the 20, which is a full size 10mm, and I believe that the 38 is the mid-size or compact 10mm. Its a fantastic round, with plenty of arse behind it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

For bear, I would get either a Taurus, ora Smith & Wesson in .40 S&W, it's powerful, and it's got rapid fire.
Maybe a .40 for Koala Bears would be ok.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

For bear, I would get either a Taurus, ora Smith & Wesson in .40 S&W, it's powerful, and it's got rapid fire.
Uh-oh.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

For backup for bear hunting, the .357 GP would be a better bet than any common autoloaders with the exception of the 10mm. Other than that, you can't possibly go wrong with the .45 ACP, unless you end up wanting a much smaller pistol for CCW.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

To paraphrase Captain Jim Crossman's statement about the .30/'06 cartridge: "It is any freeborn American's right to purchase a pistol chambered for a cartridge other than the .45 ACP, BUT it is no great tribute to his intelligence if he does........"
Old 03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I've got a bad temper and I need to shut the crap up??? hahahahahahaha...

Dude, I was joking in part. The .40 isn't a bad cartridge. Lots of guys use them in IPSC matches, and that's where I picked up the "short & weak" reference. In competition circles, that is a common joke. That's all. The .40 is a nice compromise between the 9mm and the .45 acp for a carry gunand for self defense against angry humans. But, I just think I'd want a bit more if I had an angrybear chasing me up a tree because, frankly, I can't climb very fast. Hence my recommendation that I like the .45 but, if using a .40 caliber the 10mm would be better.
Lol, alright, thought you were serious there for a second, glad we were able to clear that up.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

ROTFL!!!!