Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
boyd's gun stocks /  got a question >

boyd's gun stocks / got a question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

boyd's gun stocks / got a question

Old 12-10-2002, 03:07 AM

Default boyd's gun stocks / got a question

since i am looking to get a stock for my F.N. sporter. this is the only site so far i have seen that has a stock i like. now they have fro the mausers. it says long rings and short rings. what does that mean? can that fit on my sporter?
if not what kind am i looking for?

Old 12-10-2002, 04:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: boyd's gun stocks / got a question

The "ring" is actually the front of the receiver. There are small rings such as the 96 Mauser action, and large ring such as the 98 Mauser. If your rifle is a Mauser action chamber for 35 Whelen, chances are it is a large ring type. There are books out there that will tell you. The action length can be different lengths too so you need to measure. I think there may be a cheat sheet on Boyds site.

BTW, did you look at www.rifle-stocks.com

Edited by - frizzellr on 12/10/2002 08:22:08
Old 12-10-2002, 04:27 PM

thanks for all your help. thank you frizz for the site. have not seen that one on all the searches i looked through.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:59 AM

frizzellr..

how do i measure the action length? meaning from what to what?

Old 12-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly, if I am not badly mistaken you go by the distance between the action screws. I am still looking for that table I found once that had all that type of info. If I find it again I will send it to you.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Quilly, the main difference in Mauser type actions is if it is a large ring or a small ring Mauser action. There are a few variations of Muasers that have a slightly different action length, but this will not apply to you FN.

What you are looking for is stock your your FN, which is a large ring. The "ring" of the Mauser action is the forward part the receiver where the bolt lugs lock into and the barrel is threaded into the receiver. If I am not mistaken, the large ring has a diameter of approximately 1.350" and a small ring approximately 1.150". I am shooting off the top of my head so these figures may not be exact, but close.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Spike

Default boyd's gunstock nightmare

Boyd's might make a stock that you will have to fit yourself but the customer sevice is THE WORSE and if you need to return or change your order is like going into McDonalds and asking for a hamberger without pickel. you'll have the two people that work there scratching their head. They don't know what to do and will charge you 15% more to figure it out.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by randers
Boyd's might make a stock that you will have to fit yourself but the customer sevice is THE WORSE and if you need to return or change your order is like going into McDonalds and asking for a hamberger without pickel. you'll have the two people that work there scratching their head. They don't know what to do and will charge you 15% more to figure it out.
Seems like you're digging up old threads about Boyd's stocks just to bash them. This thread is ~12yrs old, the other one you posted on today was 9yrs old... Both of these posts making up your only two posts to this forum.

I can say that I have not had the same experience with Boyd's customer service. Yes, if you ordered the wrong stock, there is a restocking fee for exchanges, and they will not replace it if you have altered the stock in any way. That's on you for ordering the wrong stock. I have contacted them with questions to ensure I received the right stock for my application, even negotiated a "you're telling me this fits, if it doesn't, you foot the shipping bill" agreement with them. Wasn't an issue, since they were right, it fit.

It is also intentional that they ship stocks with the inlet at minimum tolerance. There's nothing you can do with a stock if it's too loose, can't put wood back on. But ANYONE can run sandpaper. This is a common practice in the stock making industry.

Here's a snippet from boyd's page:

Definitions of BOYDS' Finished, Unfinished and Semi-Inlet Stocks

(FINISHED)

Factory fit and finished references stocks that have been 100% fit and sanded to our house action, then finished with one of Boyds' superior finishes. Factory Fit stocks can be pulled from the box and bolted to your firearm with no fitting; however, on occasion, sight variations of individual guns may occur, requiring slight fitting that a novice should be able to perform. Please consult a competent and qualified gunsmith if you need assistance. A competent and qualified gunsmith is defined as a person who, at a minimum, works for your firearm manufacturers warranty or service center OR a person who has had 10 years or more of gunstock installation experience and has graduated from a gunsmith college with at least a two-year Associate Arts & Science (A.A.S.) degree in gunsmithing.

House Actions

House actions refer to the steel we use to fit and finish our gunstocks. It is quite common to find variations in the metal of like firearms. Therefore, for our fitting purposes, we try to choose the metal smallest in size to help assist in machining a product that is aesthetically appealing on all receivers. When machining barrel channels, unless stated otherwise, we will use the manufacturer's standard sporter barrel. When machining Mauser actions, Boyds' will typically use a #1 contour barrel.

So both of these paragraphs mention that they cut the inlets to a "minimum specification".

This is also a snippet from their Returns section of their "Policies" link...

Please inspect product within 10 days of receipt to insure that you have received the proper stock and that it is free from defects. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee. Factory seconds are purchased as is and cannot be returned. If you receive the wrong stock please call customer service. If for any other reason a return is required, a 12% restocking fee will be imposed and shipping fees will not be reimbursed. Alterations to your stock and/or forend of any kind, will void any and all warranty and the return of your part will not be allowed. Proof of purchase must accompany all returns.

Sucks that you crashed and burned because you didn't read the return policy, but it doesn't mean that Boyd's is incompetent or intentionally screwing you over. It means you didn't read the contract you agreed to with your purchase, and don't like being held to your word.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Spike

Default true to your screen name

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Seems like you're digging up old threads about Boyd's stocks just to bash them. This thread is ~12yrs old, the other one you posted on today was 9yrs old... Both of these posts making up your only two posts to this forum.

I can say that I have not had the same experience with Boyd's customer service. Yes, if you ordered the wrong stock, there is a restocking fee for exchanges, and they will not replace it if you have altered the stock in any way. That's on you for ordering the wrong stock. I have contacted them with questions to ensure I received the right stock for my application, even negotiated a "you're telling me this fits, if it doesn't, you foot the shipping bill" agreement with them. Wasn't an issue, since they were right, it fit.

It is also intentional that they ship stocks with the inlet at minimum tolerance. There's nothing you can do with a stock if it's too loose, can't put wood back on. But ANYONE can run sandpaper. This is a common practice in the stock making industry.

Here's a snippet from boyd's page:

Definitions of BOYDS' Finished, Unfinished and Semi-Inlet Stocks

(FINISHED)

Factory fit and finished references stocks that have been 100% fit and sanded to our house action, then finished with one of Boyds' superior finishes. Factory Fit stocks can be pulled from the box and bolted to your firearm with no fitting; however, on occasion, sight variations of individual guns may occur, requiring slight fitting that a novice should be able to perform. Please consult a competent and qualified gunsmith if you need assistance. A competent and qualified gunsmith is defined as a person who, at a minimum, works for your firearm manufacturers warranty or service center OR a person who has had 10 years or more of gunstock installation experience and has graduated from a gunsmith college with at least a two-year Associate Arts & Science (A.A.S.) degree in gunsmithing.

House Actions

House actions refer to the steel we use to fit and finish our gunstocks. It is quite common to find variations in the metal of like firearms. Therefore, for our fitting purposes, we try to choose the metal smallest in size to help assist in machining a product that is aesthetically appealing on all receivers. When machining barrel channels, unless stated otherwise, we will use the manufacturer's standard sporter barrel. When machining Mauser actions, Boyds' will typically use a #1 contour barrel.

So both of these paragraphs mention that they cut the inlets to a "minimum specification".

This is also a snippet from their Returns section of their "Policies" link...

Please inspect product within 10 days of receipt to insure that you have received the proper stock and that it is free from defects. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee. Factory seconds are purchased as is and cannot be returned. If you receive the wrong stock please call customer service. If for any other reason a return is required, a 12% restocking fee will be imposed and shipping fees will not be reimbursed. Alterations to your stock and/or forend of any kind, will void any and all warranty and the return of your part will not be allowed. Proof of purchase must accompany all returns.

Sucks that you crashed and burned because you didn't read the return policy, but it doesn't mean that Boyd's is incompetent or intentionally screwing you over. It means you didn't read the contract you agreed to with your purchase, and don't like being held to your word.

Well said, documented and I find it refreshingly to the point. Boyds is good people.