Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Boyd's stock?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Boyd's stock?

Anyone familiar with the Ross thumbhole model? Thinking about putting one on a Ruger MKII 25-06. Probably go with thevirtualvs. factory inletto save a few bucks andadd a little fun to the project by doing the finishing work myself.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boyd's stock?

I have a Boyd thumbhole stock on my U.F. BP Xpress, and I don't like it. I am not a fan of thumbhole stocks in general. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have 1 JRS on a 6mm-06 and another JRS on the way. I have seen the thumbhole Ross in the catalog. I would highly recommend the JRS, but have no experience the the Ross.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I have a Boyd thumbhole stock on my U.F. BP Xpress, and I don't like it. I am not a fan of thumbhole stocks in general. Just my opinion.
Thanks retrieverman, but what specificaly don't you like? I have no field experience with a thumbhole, and I'd rather not spend the cash to find out there's somedrawback that I don'tnotice from holding one off the shelf.Or is it just apersonal preferance?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really can't say exactly what I dislike, but it just feels "different". I prefer the slimmer profile of a standard pistol grip stock. I do like the feel of an Encore stock and honestly thought I would like the thumbhole. I do still shoot the BP Xpress, but only because I have way too much money tied up in the gun.

I would suggest handling a thumbhole before buying one.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one that I put a vssfII 22-250 into. I like the stock. The thumbhole was a little too far back and I wasn't comfy with the trigger but I sanded the thumbhole out a little more to fit me better.
I bedded it, had to remove a lot of wood for a timney trigger but all in all pretty good stock..

IF ya like it then get it.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 AM

I've had two thumbhole stocks, one on a custom 35Whelen the other on a Model 70.I'm pretty sure the35Whelen was a Boyds. It was a laminated thumbhole. I have to be honest it did take some getting used to but after that I was VERY happy. To me it's a more natural hold. Hold yourtrigger hand up and pretend you're pointing a pistol. Thats the positionyour hand is in with a thumbhole. Now hold the same hand up and pretend you're holding a regular rifle. It's almost like you have to force that hand into position. A thumbhole helpsto tame recoildue to the was the rifle is held. It also helps those treestand shots that are'nt right in front of you.

Like everything else though it's up to the individual shooter. Many people hate them, some love them. Pick one up for yourself and see. If you know anyone with one try it out at the range. As soon as I finda synthetic thumbhole that fits my new Howa I'll be sure to get one.