Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions on Group Sizes??? >

Opinions on Group Sizes???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on Group Sizes???

Old 12-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions on Group Sizes???

Sounds pretty good to me. It should be noted some people(i am one of them) take a few rounds through the barrel to get used to the new gun. One thing I may suggest is have your trigger adjusted down from the factory setting, I have done this with all my rifles and it does make a difference. I only shot 3 shot groups and feel it is waste to heat up and fire that extra shot or two. I would also suggest triing other bullet styles and brands before you decide exactly what bullet you think is the most accurate. In factory loads I have always found Hornady or Fed. Prem. to be the most accurate, box to box. I use to like Winchester Prem. but they stopped producing the results i was use to...I haven't been back since. As far as bullet style my guns all shoot Ballistic tip style bullets better than any other, however you may require to use different types for different hunting situations so it is always good to have a log that tells you what bullet did what out of your gun. I always suggest prem. shells for hunting, why spend all the money on gear, equipment, tags, etc...than only to skimp on the shells you load. Just my opinion!

Handloading can make a difference if you either have an experienced loader in mind or get the help being one yourself. I have seen many a factory round out due a inexperienced handloader who just loads the case to max all the time and doesn't take into account bullet seating, etc. I think handloading is a craft or art, some are real good, while some are ok and others just are plain bad. In no way is it a gaurantee to being more accurate and I believe experience as well as skill are very important with handloading. I guess in simple terms it ain't as easy as it seems to me. Not to scare you from doing it, just make sure you have some help and research it thoroughly and don't expect MOA's the first time you fire your handloads. I maybe wrong here, so guys who are handloaders please feel free to correct me!

All in all 2" is darn good for factory run of the mill shells and a new gun IMO. I bet you'll find with time, practice and little honing your groups will drop.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Opinions on Group Sizes???

Update! In the past 2 days I have taken two deer with this rifle. Both one shot kills. Both shots around 50 to 60 yards. The first was shot broadside right behind the front shoulder. Guess what? Thats exactly where I hit it. It did the textbook heart shot jump and ran about 40 yards and pilled up. The second one I shot with it facing me. NO broadside, no quartering or anything, but the confidence on the last deer convinced me to take this shot. I shot it with it facing me right between the front two legs at the brisket. Guess what? That is exactly where it hit it and dropped it on the spot! I guess that this rifle shoots game more accurately than paper. Anyone ever experienced that? To beat it all both shots were offhand. I used the Winchester PP 150 gr.
Whitey

Whitey
Old 12-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]