Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions? >

Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

So I finished what I would consider the break in of my new Kimber 8400 in 338 win mag.. I started shooting three and five shot groups of several different factory bullets and few handloads..

Here is a picture of a five shot group of 225 grain Triple Shock X Bullets, Federal Premium Ammo... 100 yards or just a hair under.

Looks like my first shot was high then they slung left but touching, then they came back to center but touching.. I decided to adjust the scope a little down and that's the 6th shot you see, but once again it went left..

Anyone have any suggestions or ever seen anything like this?

Oh, bbl is free floated with no contact, bbl is squeeky clean and it has 3lb trigger.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

I would guess its abedding problemor your scope is moving in its mounts or the scope itself is loosing it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 PM

take you scope off first and make sure all the screws holding the bases down are tight, put the rings on the bases and make sure the rings are clamped on tightly the mount the scope again and be sure that the screws holing the scope in place are tight... you groups look as if the bases are slightly loose JMHO.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

guys, since it is a new gun could it possibly be an inconsistent cheek weld.
the scope mount is most likely but could an differnt weld be the culprit

Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM

there's also always the flinch...
Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using a VXIII 3.5-10x40 with Talley Bases and Rings.. I mount scopes at work several times a day and I did my own on this gun also.. I'm not doubting theremay besomething up with the scope or bases etc, just stating that it's all tight anyways...

OH and it shouldn't be flinching cuz this particular group wasa bench rest group, well... lead sled anyway.

Bedding... hmmm
I sent an Email to Kimber, might just have to send the rifle back.. maybe test a couple more loads first.. Will double check tightness on rings and bases also...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 PM

ah, if you have a good rest you're right, it shouldnt' be flinching. I just prop on my backpack with a jacket in it and I know that if my shots start fluctuating i can stand up and get a coke or something, just take a break, then get back to work and they'll get tighter.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are the other loads shooting this bad? Start with the easiest answer then go from there. I be very suprised if it was a bedding prob in a Kimber. Flinching wouldnt make sense since it groups in one place then another. It could just be a hot barrel or the ammo.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a different load. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM

Hmm, I don't think it's the gun. You're shooting hot loads which explains why it's flying high most of the time which isn't bad if you're zero is 200. You could try a more basic ammo like a soft point until you can get it ironed out but the only thing I can think of because you're really not shooting too badly is to practice, practice some more, then practice. Heck, it could be somethingas simple as you're not looking through the scope the same way each time?

Quick Reply: Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.