Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ideal Wolf Rifle >

Ideal Wolf Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ideal Wolf Rifle

Old 02-04-2007, 01:54 PM
DM

Default RE: Ideal Wolf Rifle

That .270 is about as close to an ideal wolf cartridge as you're likely to find!
I'm trying to figure out why you feel that way?????

Anything from higher powered center fire 22's on up will kill them as far as you can hit them!!!! Why would anyone need a 270 or any other cartridge that big??

I was hired to take out some dog packs once, my .243 Win. would shoot through and flatten any dog any size thati could hit at any range!

DM
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

.17 HMR, LOL.

I would have to say .243.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DM

That .270 is about as close to an ideal wolf cartridge as you're likely to find!
I'm trying to figure out why you feel that way?????

Anything from higher powered center fire 22's on up will kill them as far as you can hit them!!!! Why would anyone need a 270 or any other cartridge that big??

I was hired to take out some dog packs once, my .243 Win. would shoot through and flatten any dog any size thati could hit at any range!

DM
Because a number of the wolves I shot in Alaska back in the '60's weighed more than many whitetail deer!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
DM

Because a number of the wolves I shot in Alaska back in the '60's weighed more than many whitetail deer!
At least you have a reason LOL...

Most big wolves would be around 125 pounds, That would be a pretty small whitetail around here...

243 Win. will shoot through any dog/coyote/wolf you can find, just use a decent bullet in it... I used a lot of 90 grain Speers, also Sierra's and Noslers.

Many times the dog packs would run straight away, and i wouldtake my time, sometimes even getting into a sitting position and the 85 sierra/90 Speer/or Nosler 6mm bullet would go end to end even on the biggest dogs....

I used a several other cal's too, includeing a 17 Rem....

DM
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

As usual the question was what "rifle" and almost no one mentions a "rifle" in their answer. Lots of suggestions for "cartridges".

I was carrying my Sav. model 99 leveraction with a 3 to 9 scope on it when I had a chance to shoot some wolves. I saw them chasing white-tails in a cutblock and so I got set up and called with a fawn distress call. It was like ringing the dinner bell. Two of them came running at me an so I shot the farthest one (~90 yards) and then swung on the closer one and shot it. It fell on its nose dead 40 steps away and I got back on the farther one who was up and trying to get into the forest. Running through thin bush and planted spruce saplings. I emptied my rifle at it killing it with the last shot (the rifle holds 6 shells in total). My rifle is chambered in .300 sav. but a Lever gun, a pump or a semi-auto in .243, 250/3000 or any deer type cartridge would be good.

If you are a person who thinks bolt actions "are more accurate" than other actions you may or may not get a chance to take more than one or two shots at a close encountered pack.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Spike

Thanks Duffy, hard to argue with those results. I have a feeling we will only be allowed one wolf per year (just like deer, elk, etc.) so a quick cycling gun might not be the top priority.

I have been wondering how they would respong to calling. Nice to hear the fawn distress call worked. What time of year were you/do you hunt wolves up there?

Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some mean looking pooch's
Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM

nice dogs!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Most big wolves would be around 125 pounds, That would be a pretty small whitetail around here..."

Yep. If you want to see small whitetail, go to Central Texas - not everything is big in TX! The wolves I was talking about were in the 125-pound class. A few may have weighed more, but weighing game in the middle forks of the Gulkana River area is slightly impractical.....