Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage vs. Remington, once and for all. >

Savage vs. Remington, once and for all.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage vs. Remington, once and for all.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Savage vs. Remington, once and for all.

Yoursaying the reason behind you starting this thread was information for the "newbies" and not to envoke a response from the savage users? If so then I appologize. I thoughtit was in response to the savage accutrigger thread red lion started and others where the samething have been hashed out.

IfI was wrong, heres my thoughts.

2 things nobody should deny is the Remington comes with a better quality synthetic stock and recoil pad.

Besidethese 2 I wouldn't pick a savage based on these personal reason:
Fit and feel
Tang Safety
Internal box magazine
Accutrigger

IME both are capable tools. I will not say one is better then the other in function just personal preference is why I would pick the remington.

FWIW I will never agree one is good for all, fit and feel is by far the most important thing.Thiscan't be extrapolated to everyone based on mine or your preferences. It will never be a for once and for all thing, as the debates will continue as preferences will be the dictator of the individual opinions. All the banging of your chest won't make a hill beans of difference to the other party as they feel the exact same way.

Also IMO judgement shouldn't be passed on a product for which you have no actual experience on. If you actually have experience then you can pass all the judgement you want but of course it is still an opinion but at least you have merit behind them!! I ain't much for here say mumbo jumbo nor data sheet comparisons to find which on paper seems to be the best,I prefer to make up my mind with hands on time.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM

savage 30-06
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

All this talk lately on Savages has me itching to buy one to give it a thorough run-down. I can run it side-by-side to a Browning A-Bolt, Tikka T3, Remington 700, Winchester Model 70 Pre '64, Ruger M77, Remington 788, Weatherby Vanguard, and I'm sure there are a few others lurking around the closet.

If there are any Savage reps out there, I want to see a shorter bolt throw, and a lil tighter bolt, and eliminated the lawyer bar. Then, you would have alot of people in my area sold on them!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM

and eliminated the lawyer bar.
if u did that an accutrigger would not be an acuutrigger what makes it so sucseesful is being able to ajust it without voiding the warenty....so poor ass hunters....like myself....can have a nice trigger and not be skrewed when somthing goes wrong.....and i would agree it does get a lil anoying but if they rid it and repalaced it with an ajustable...waateed trigger it would be very nice
Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the things I don't like about the Savages:

.223 Long action, but they changed that now.
Stocks, to me, are pretty cheap and flimsy.
A friend had one of the detachable mag models, and everytime you would shoot it the mag would fall out. Easy fix, but should never have happened.
I actually like the tang safetys, like my M77

Remmys:

I think the action is pretty much the best out there.
Aftermarket parts galore.
Fit and Finish is great.

Price for Price-The Savage is not that great of a deal. IMO

Skeeter, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I actually haven't kept up on the Accu-trigger thread. I just don't want to see another "newbie" posting this same question next week.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have great results with both but my Remmy 700 is 35 yrs old and I don't have any experience with the newer models.My Savages both have SSS triggers and both shoot very well. The biggest advantage of the Savage is that I can change mine from a .308 to a .243 or to a 7-08 in about 20 minutes and the two extra barrels cost me about $65 each. I will say that the finish on a Remington is usally nicer and they typically have a smoother action. Each have their good points. Each have their weaknesses.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not in favor of a three piece bolt. I will stick with the Remington. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM

I kinda disagree with the whole "one can't be better thing, because its all fit". while it may be true, that doesn't mean a rifle can't be produced with more quality and produced as a better shooter.

Hey, whats a better car, a geo metro or a ferrari? even if your 6'7 and fat, youd still say ferrari, even though you could never fit in one. Why would you say ferrari? Because it looks better? not necessarily. youd say so because the highest function of a car is driving, including handeling, speed, breaking power. Which car drives better? the ferrari!

anywho, I greatly dislike remingtons because they are just sooooo average. nothing awsome about em, nothing bad about em, just average. kinda boring.

Where with savage, they are more innovative, inventing new triggers for example, and creating "one of the most accurate guns out of the box" possible for that price range. They have strengths and weaknesses. Weakness would probably be the look and the worse quality stocks. The strengths i guess could be said to be the accuracy and price.

Remington=average. no real big strengths other than customization, which i don't understand why someone would buy a rifle just to customize it, when they could buy all the parts they need and build it from scratch.

But, now think about this, what would you say the most important quality of a gun would be....

Prettyness? no
effiency at killing animals with less of a degree of error (regarless of how small of a difference there is,)- yes!

so, if this gun is on average more accurate out of the box, I would say it is better than the average remington. If accuracy in killing game animals is its highest function, then the savage is better at the highest function.

my vote goes to savage!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM

If you really want to see the difference check with a gunsmith and competion shooter who has experience with both. My gunsmith sat down with me andphysically showed methe differences in quality, afterwards I was sold on the Savage. It was sort of funny since I went in looking to buy a Remington as I had always owned mostly Remingtons. He also could have made more money selling me a Remington. Glad he was a friend and told me the facts. I did read that Remington is making some major improvements in 2007 + models. Remington was pressured into these changes due to public criticism and poor comparison ratings. One change is to the trigger. I expect more quality improvements to the Remington rifles in the future and if they come up to par my next purchase may be a Remington.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

whchunter- Could you please explain some of the differences??

Quick Reply: Savage vs. Remington, once and for all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.