Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION? >

STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?

Old 12-03-2002, 06:03 PM

Default STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?

I have a 30-06 and the stock on it has seen better days. I am trying to decide what to do with it. I have been thinking about refinishing it, but have little knowledge on how to do that. I know you can buy a kit or some people have done it by getting their own materials. I am not sure what option I should follow here if any. I wouldn't mind a lighter gun by getting a lighter stock also.

I am not sure what I should do. Refinish it or just buy a different stock.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 09:28 PM

Default RE: STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?

This is what I do, and I'm sure there are nearly as many different ways as the are people to do it. First remove the stock and forearm from the rifle and cut and bend a couple of wire clothes hangers to hang them from. Then spray with paint and varnish remover. Follow the directions! This spray will melt the old clearcoat and wipe it off using medium steelwool (wear rubber gloves). After ALL the clearcoat is removed sand out any scratches and buff lightly with fine steelwool. Don't worry out stripping off the original stain down to bare wood, you're just going to stain over it again. I like Minwax brand Jacobean stain, but use whatever color stain you want. Wipe the stain on with a clean rag, ( I save a few white socks that have worn out for this. Works great for staining). Then wipe off the excess. Allow to dry fully, then spray with a good finish like Defthane or other good wood finisher. You'll have to decide on satin, gloss, or high gloss finish. Let the first coat dry and buff with very fine steelwool and wipe of dust with a clean rag and spray again. Repeat this until you get the desired finish. It's really not very hard to after the first time. It's a great way to pick up used guns cheap and make them look great again. Hope this helps.

"Fast is fine, but accurate is final". "Wild Bill" Hickok - 1869

Edited by - deerslayer444 on 12/03/2002 22:32:45
Old 12-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2002, 11:04 AM
jed
Fork Horn

After the old finish is removed I use a mixture of one third tung oil, one third paint thinner and one third eurathane. The thinner thins the eurathane and the oil allows it to penetrate into the wood fibers. It will then harden with a beautiful satin finish. Use a few coats and I also save the socks I get for christmas from the inlaws to use for applying stain. They really do work great. Apply the stain once, wipe off the excess, wait one hour and give it another coat. Let that dry overnight then repeat the process.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Deerslayer has good info here but I would add that once stripped down 1st time let it dry completely and you will see any "missed" spots, they will return to a glossy finishthe dust between the coats of clear I always wipe the entire stock clean using a tack cloth. These can be found at any home depot or hardware store. As for the finish I recommend the Minwax Helmsman as it is specifically formulated for outdoor/UV conditions.

10 Pointers