Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Stock Question? >

Gun Stock Question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Stock Question?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Gun Stock Question?

I've got a Mod. 70 in 25-06, classic sporter with the wood stock. I use the gun for deer and coyotes. I am thinking of possibly going to a synthetic stock. Like maybe a Hogue, H-S Precision, or McMillian. The wood stock is in excellent shape right now, but it won't stay that way long if I start doing a lot of hunting with it. I'd also like something with a little shorter length of pull. Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun Stock Question?

You can also check bell & carlson. If you want a shorter LOP, I suggest going to a youth stock. I'm sure you can get on for the Model 70 somewhere.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:17 PM

You can order the McMillan in any LOP you want, just be prepared to wait for it, and wait, and wait... they ain't fast over there but their stocks are the best I've found yet. If you want it this fall, you better order it right NOW, they're running 16 weeks to delivery. http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/
Old 04-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I'm gonna throw in my vote for HS precision. Absolutely love the aluminum bedding block in a HS stock. Never had an ounce of trouble with theirs. Everything about their stocks it first rate. They can also be ordered to any LOP that you wish.

I wouldn't even consider a B&C. I haven't installed a B&C yet that didn't need a considerable ammount of fitting. QC over there aint up to par.

Hogues are OK but I have seen a few that were warped right out of the packaging.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 PM

I recently put a Hogue on a new M77 Mark II, partly to keep the original gray laminate stock from getting damaged on my hunts.I splurgedforthe alum chasis model. It feels great, is solid and floats the barrel. Only once out to the range so far, but so far so good.I hadn't read alot about them before my purchase, and decided to take a chance on this product because I don't like the hard plastic feel of most synthetic stocks. It's worth a look....
Old 04-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Recently I have been buying the Hogue overmold stocks with the full length bedding block they seem to me to be the best value you can buy them from midsouth shooters supply for 168.00 I dont know about length of pull I think they are 13 3/4. I hope this helps chad