HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 09:28 PM
deerslayer444

Default RE: STOCK REFINSHING QUESTION?

This is what I do, and I'm sure there are nearly as many different ways as the are people to do it. First remove the stock and forearm from the rifle and cut and bend a couple of wire clothes hangers to hang them from. Then spray with paint and varnish remover. Follow the directions! This spray will melt the old clearcoat and wipe it off using medium steelwool (wear rubber gloves). After ALL the clearcoat is removed sand out any scratches and buff lightly with fine steelwool. Don't worry out stripping off the original stain down to bare wood, you're just going to stain over it again. I like Minwax brand Jacobean stain, but use whatever color stain you want. Wipe the stain on with a clean rag, ( I save a few white socks that have worn out for this. Works great for staining). Then wipe off the excess. Allow to dry fully, then spray with a good finish like Defthane or other good wood finisher. You'll have to decide on satin, gloss, or high gloss finish. Let the first coat dry and buff with very fine steelwool and wipe of dust with a clean rag and spray again. Repeat this until you get the desired finish. It's really not very hard to after the first time. It's a great way to pick up used guns cheap and make them look great again. Hope this helps.

"Fast is fine, but accurate is final". "Wild Bill" Hickok - 1869

Edited by - deerslayer444 on 12/03/2002 22:32:45