Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best short action round >

best short action round

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best short action round

Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best short action round

308 would be fine. 7mm-08 is my personal favorite
Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 PM

I don't know who some of you talk to but reading and talking to other hunters, wsm are always in conversation. Most like them, why wouldn't you? One gun owner said the 300 wsm and 270 wsmhavebeen some of her best sellers in recent years.She said right there with you traditional 30-06 and 270win. Actually the 308 has been her least popular out of the 5 I mentioned. Go figure right. I guess it depends where you live, I can see the Remington SAUM going under but not the WSM's. I just purchased a brand new model 70 in 300wsm. She should be a tack driver!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

I don't know who some of you talk to but reading and talking to other hunters, wsm are always in conversation. Most like them, why wouldn't you? One gun owner said the 300 wsm and 270 wsmhavebeen some of her best sellers in recent years.She said right there with you traditional 30-06 and 270win. Actually the 308 has been her least popular out of the 5 I mentioned. Go figure right. I guess it depends where you live, I can see the Remington SAUM going under but not the WSM's. I just purchased a brand new model 70 in 300wsm. She should be a tack driver!
I don't like them, because, they don't appeal to me, I have all the magnum performance I want, in my .300 Win Mag, plus, I don't like short action rifles. And, I live in the middle of nowhere, and we don't exactly favor, the "biggest and newest" around here.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BRIZBO

i am looking for the "best" short action round, i live in iowa so really id only use it for a week a year here for the centerfire rifle deer season. however there is a good possibilty that i will be going on some other hunts for black bear and elk, and mabey pronghorn and mule deer. I have a browning a-bolt in 25-06, im looking at the 300wsm or the 325wsm, but im almost ready to get a 308 win and handload it up some, just for the conveiance of being able to go to wal-mart and get shells for it and shoot it real
cheap.wondering what recoil would be like on the 325 wsm in a browning micro a-bolt. thats my first pick so far, what do you all think?
For elk and moose, there's perhaps something to be said for the .300 or even the .325 WSM rounds.

But for the great portion of the use you will be putting it to, the .308 Win. is great. So would be the .338 Federal.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: BRIZBO

i am looking for the "best" short action round, i live in iowa so really id only use it for a week a year here for the centerfire rifle deer season. however there is a good possibilty that i will be going on some other hunts for black bear and elk, and mabey pronghorn and mule deer. I have a browning a-bolt in 25-06, im looking at the 300wsm or the 325wsm, but im almost ready to get a 308 win and handload it up some, just for the conveiance of being able to go to wal-mart and get shells for it and shoot it real
cheap.wondering what recoil would be like on the 325 wsm in a browning micro a-bolt. thats my first pick so far, what do you all think?
For elk and moose, there's perhaps something to be said for the .300 or even the .325 WSM rounds.

But for the great portion of the use you will be putting it to, the .308 Win. is great. So would be the .338 Federal.
I actually like the prospect of the new .338 Fed, can't wait to get my hands on one. It isn't a short mag, so I'll enjoy it
Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .308Win. is a great short action cartridge, easy on the shoulder and easy on the wallet too!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you handload (which based on your post you do), then there is no better round for medium sized game than the 7mm-08. NONE!

And I don't consider the WSM's to be "short actions".....they are short mags....just how I see it.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned three different short mag's. In my opinion the 300 WSM is an excellent cartridge. There have been alot of new cartridges introduced lately. IMO this is one of the few that has merit. First of all it fits in a short action. This feature again IMO makes for a more accurate round, and if wanted, a lighter rifle. I have read alot about the accuracy of these rounds, I can attest that the 300 WSM is indeed an accurate cartridge. I believe the round will be around, because it does have something to offer. Buy some brass and rock and roll. Tom.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

I may as well chime in here. I have a 7mm WSM and a 243. I like them both but I must admit that I agree with almost everyone lese in saying 308 over all. I can get 3300 FPS outta my 7mm WSM but at the cost of 74 grains of powder. The 308 will get you what you need, you just wont have the ease of shot (flat trajectory) for long shots of a short mag. Get a 308 or 7mm 08. EJ
Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 PM

I'd get the 300 WSM. One of the most popular cartridges on the market today. Not only is it a very hot seller, but in the field it has the performance to back it up as well.

Quick Reply: best short action round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.