Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Suggestions on caliber for youth? >

Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Suggestions on caliber for youth?

Oh, lol
Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

You beat me to it.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Not to say it isn't true either, but I don't buy the whole start them off young with a heavy caliber and muscle memory thing. My boy has a small frame so I want to get him a pleasant rifle to start off with that he will enjoy shooting along with getting his first deer. Heck, I may just save the money, let him use my 30-06 with managed recoil rounds, and better use that saved money on a bow. He's expressed interest moreso in bow hunting so it wouldn't be a bad thing for me to start learning. I bow hunted once when I was 16 so it shouldn't take long to re-learn it. Cool.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: M77man

Not to say it isn't true either, but I don't buy the whole start them off young with a heavy caliber and muscle memory thing. My boy has a small frame so I want to get him a pleasant rifle to start off with that he will enjoy shooting along with getting his first deer. Heck, I may just save the money, let him use my 30-06 with managed recoil rounds, and better use that saved money on a bow. He's expressed interest moreso in bow hunting so it wouldn't be a bad thing for me to start learning. I bow hunted once when I was 16 so it shouldn't take long to re-learn it. Cool.
Bow hunting will teach him more aboutthe outdoorsin the long run due to longer seasons and more about hunting because of the range limitations.

I love my guns morebut Archery isone of my fave hobbies. Those lost arrows can get expensive for the beginnerbut is well worth the price. Can shoot in city limits to!

He should be fine withyour reduced 30-06 loads.

The 30-30 would be a good choice in my opinion. If you shopped around you may find a good used bow and rifle for about the same price you would have put into the new rifle and scope.

Just remember to aim at a "spot" on the deer, not the "deer".

Good Luck to you both.