Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Any suggestions on Youth or Womens Bow? >

Any suggestions on Youth or Womens Bow?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Any suggestions on Youth or Womens Bow?

Old 08-12-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Any suggestions on Youth or Womens Bow?

I have been scouring the internet looking for a bow for my 12 year old son. I have a big list! However, I can't seem to decide what to get him based on my requirements. Maybe one of you who have more experience with bows can help.

As I said, he is 12. He can pull 35lbs easily. Virginia law requires a bow to be 45# or more to hunt with. I believe he will be able to pull that weight with practice. For the next 2 years I don't expect him to hunt as he plays football and the two seasons conflict. I believe he only has 2 yrs left of football in him because he will have to compete with about 300 other kids for 35 positions as a Freshman. However, I want to start him shooting now but not have to spend another fortune 2 yrs from now to get a bow that will take down a deer. By the way, how much bow do you need to take a deer down?

So, knowing all this, what would some of you do?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any suggestions on Youth or Womens Bow?

With out spending a load of cash on a first bow I would highly reccomend the Browning Micro Adrenaline. The package set up retails for $269.00 in the stores but visit the link below and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. It is a very smooth drawing bow so I would bet that he could pull 40 pounds or more. My son (11 years old) could draw 42 pounds on this bow. You can also adjust the draw length from 18 to 28 inches with out a press so it will grow with him for a long time to come.

This is the bow I was going to buy for my son but I stumbled across a Hoyt MT sport for $160.00 and I could not pass it up.

They were back ordered earlier this year but they should have them well stocked now. Go to DnR Sports and they have this bow for a lot less than anywhere I have been able to find. Their combo price is less than the retail stores bare bow price.

As far as killing deer VA has a very high poundage requirement and it is very unnecessary to have it at 45 pounds. It doesn't take nearly that much to cleanly kill deer. Colorado only requires 35 pounds to hunt elk.

He will have plenty enough bow at 30 - 35 pounds to hunt deer with much less 45 pounds. So don't worry about that.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm also hoping to get into a good deal. I've been scouring Ebay.

I think I have narrowed the field down to a few . . .

Micro Adrenaline (as you suggested)
Alpine Micro Sport
PSE Spyder
Golden Eagle Sparrowhawk II

Any comments on any of these? Do you feel they will fit my situation?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

We looked for a bow for my son for quite a while and he chose the adrenaline hands down. So did my wife for herself. It was smoother, balanced better, and shot better than the others we tested (Parker, Alpine, PSE, Bear/ Jennings/ Golden Eagle, Browning) Like I said above I ended up buying him an MT sport though while he was away at his grand parents for the summer. Knowing what he liked I checked it out myself and it was just as good a youth bow as the adrenaline. I just could not pass up the deal on the MT sport.

Of the four that you have there I would not bother with the sparrow hawk. IMO it is not in the same class as the other three.

IMO the alpine micro has the harshest draw cycle of the three left and it also has the shortest brace height. The PSE spyder is a great bow but is not as adjustable as the micro adrenaline. The micro adrenaline has everything that I would look for in a youth bow.... smooth draw cycle, ample adjustability, good brace height for a youth bow, and good speed from a youth bow.

My pics would go from best to worst would be........ micro adrenaline, PSE spyder (single cam), Alpine micro, sparrow hawk.

Definetly let him go shoot them for his self though. He may like one of the others??????
Old 08-15-2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the advice it. It was helpful. What I may end up doing is getting him a cheap bow that he can target shoot with me and then in a couple years I can get him a real nice hunting bow. E-bay seems to have a lot of left-hand bows in the 50-60lb range that no one is bidding on and they are name brand! By that time football will either have petered-out or he'll still be in full swing and I'll have saved a considerable amount of money.

I'll continue to look for deals on the ones you suggested. I just missed a Spyder by $11 on an auction last night.

Thanks for your assistance and advice!