Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg 640KD .22WMR Bolt Removal >

Mossberg 640KD .22WMR Bolt Removal

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 640KD .22WMR Bolt Removal

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Mossberg 640KD .22WMR Bolt Removal

I recently inherited one of these rifles. Its a little rough but I am cleaning it up. From what I understand they are a pretty good shooter as far as .22WMR go. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the bolt. Any ideas? There is a plastic end cap in back of the bolt and a dust cover on the action that seems sealed up pretty well. I didn't get a manual and can't find one anywhere. Any other surprises before I take the barrel off to give her a good once over?

There was some rust on the barrel as well that I hit with some fine steel wool and got most of it. Any idea on how to get rid of the pitted stuff or how to rid the inside barrel of any rust that may be in there (besides a good cleaning)? How do I know if it will be safe to fire? When I hold the breach up to a light and look down the barrel it doesn't look too bad. Probably been 2 yrs since last fired. Probably not cleaned afterwards. Never had to deal with an abused rifle before.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Mossberg 640KD .22WMR Bolt Removal

I figured out the bolt part for anyone who would like to know. There is no way to take it out without removing the barrel from the stock. Once off, there is a thing that looks like a little plastic trigger on the bottom of the plastic endcap. push it and the endcap slides right out. Even without the end cap the bolt would not be able to clear the wood of the stock.
At first I thought that the two little screws on the left side of the receiver were holding in the endcap. The screws are more like plugs and dont go far enough to touch anything. As best I can tell they are for putting a drop of gun oil on the backside of the bolt without having to take the whole rifle apart.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default Peep Sight

No, the two screws on the left side of the receiver are just plugging two threaded holes for mounting a peep sight to the rifle. The peep sight and a shrouded front sight were options for this model.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Empty the gun. Operate the bolt, safety off. In a safe direction press the trigger and HOLD it down and operate the bolt pulling it all the way out.

If this don't work let me know and I'll go check my own.