Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hunting with a "milspec" shotgun. >

Hunting with a "milspec" shotgun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting with a "milspec" shotgun.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:07 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Hunting with a "milspec" shotgun.

Started hunting again this year. Took one with a bow, and tomorrow(kind of last minute invite from a buddie) I am going out during general firearms season. Only thing I have to use is a Mossberg 590. Gonna plug the magazine to limit it to 3 rounds, and put some slugs in it. Whatdaya think? wast of time? Redneck masterpiece?

DPV
Old 12-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with a "milspec" shotgun.

Sounds good to me.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-02-2002, 08:31 AM

make sure you figure out wear the gun is going to throw those slugs before you head out to the field

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-02-2002, 08:32 PM

propmahn said it right... don't go hunting with ANY gun without knowing where it hits... you might as well close your eyes and pull the trigger and hope you hit something.....shooting slugs from a smoothbore shotgun with minimal sights is iffy... you might get lucky and have it hit pretty much point of aim at 50-70yds... but you might just as well be 6" low and 8" to the left at 50yds.... use the ammo you intend to hunt with, and go put at least 20 rounds through it, to make sure the first 4 or 5 weren't just a fluke.
now... back to the gun itself... sounds like a good one. If it has some sort of ghost-ring sight, or rifle sights, you are miles ahead. Just because it isn't a "hunting" shotgun, doesn't mean it won't do the job, and do it well. I used my Mossberg 8-shot defense shotgun to hunt pheasant with... raised a few eyebrows... and I'm sure I got a few sympathetic glances... until I started knocking down pheasants with it. I ended up with as many as anybody else on the trip. The only thing I gave up was the longer shots... no choke. But it did the job... and did it very well. Run what you brung!!

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 12-03-2002, 03:49 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Well, Bambi was safe Saturday. I jumped a couple as I was walking in just before light. I set out some scent, and grunted and bleated a few times, and about 10 minutes after legal light I heard something walking my way...and almost at the same time I heard something else coming from behind me(the same way I had walked in) Two hunters coming up behind me. laughing, talking, coughing, clearing their throats. The critter in front of me moved away. I waved my had a few times, and they finally took their circus elsewhere. The joys of public land. I took standard 1 ounce slugs with me ( left the rottweils at home, since I had never shot them from a Mossburg 590.) I have shot a bucket of the old 1 ounce standard 2 3/4 slugs. just before I left saturday...I took a shot at a scub pine about 50 yards away, and was satisfied that I made the right choice.
Next Time.