Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting with a shotgun

Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Default hunting with a shotgun

i got a new 12 gauge shotgun and will be using it for deer hunting. what do people recommend for ammo and chokes?
thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting with a shotgun

What kind of shotgun do you have?

There are like 9000 different versions of buckshot and choke tubes available. Most people use #00 Buck and a full choke. Others use a rifle barrel and slugs. Other's (like myself) dont' have a rifle barrel but have used Remington Slugger rifled slugs with an improved cylinder choke tube. It all depends on what you want to try for whatever type of shotgun you have.

Butch A.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:40 PM

thanks ButchA. i have a Mossberg 500 and it came with a Accu Choke tube, improved cylinder. i was told by a friend about the remington rifled slugs and wanted to see what others used.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I will only use one kind of slug, and that is a brenneke rotweil slug. Its one of the best and accurate slugs I have ever shot. I have my winchester 1300 sighted in at 100 yards with it. I shoot 3in mags. It is a rifled and pointed slug with 490grs.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Rem 11-87 with a smooth bore .
It has a red dot sight.
I use Brenneke K.O. slugs.
I get 1 1/2 " groups at 75 yds.
I sight in 1" high at 75 yds and are 1 1/2 " low at 100
Chech your state Ohio dose not allow buck shot
Old 12-27-2004, 10:07 PM

I use 2 guns for deer...11-87 with a full choke and shoot copper plated 00 buck 3 in....that puts about 8-10 pellets in a 12 in spread at 50 yards....and a winchester supreme over/under....full and modified choke....that puts 9-11 pellets in about an 8 in spread at 50 yards..lead shot worked ok but copper plated had the tighter pattern..all depends jus bring different chokes nad as many types of buckshot that you can think of to the range to pattern it..never tried slugs but my dad uses them...
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

check your state regs here in New York you cannot use buckshot slugs only with a shotgun
I also have a mossberg 500 with my smoothbore winchester slugs worked best ( 2 3/4 don't waste your time on the 3 inch )
Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 AM

I use a Winchester 12 gauge smoothe bore. When I purchased Remington's Rifled Slugs (Slugger) the box said to use improved choke.

So... I did... nail two deer this year in NJ... one at 50 yards... another at 35 yards.

And of course... I practiced at the range.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:38 AM

I have 2 500s one likes rem. slugs the other don't like slugs at all .
I would start with the mod. choke. You will have to try diff. brands to see whitch it likes the best.I agree johnl don't waste you money on 3" not that much if any diff. for the extra money.
The ideal thing to do is buy a slug barrel for it.
One for a 500 is not that much money.
http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/pricebarrels.htm
You could even pick up a good used one.
I have even seen dealers sell below retail at the end of the season.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if that gun will accept a rifled choke tube, but if it will, I'd get one and find a brand of sabots it likes, and get a receiver scope mount.

If it won't take a rifled tube, then you need to try a brand/weight of rifled slug or 3 or 4, until you find one that works with your choke. Do you have rifled sights? If not, get a set that will attach to your barrel.

"Simple" as that. Just don't shoot sabots through your mod or imp choke, and don't shoot rifled slugs through a rifled tube.

I would skip buckshot altogether, unless I hunted the nasty thick stuff all the time and didn't need to shoot more that 40-50 yds max.

Quick Reply: hunting with a shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.