Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shotgun hunting

Old 09-13-2003, 02:28 PM

Default shotgun hunting

When I shot my first deer last November, one shot didnt kill it. I had to walk up and finish it with the 12 guage, and blew a large portion of meat off the shoulder. I used to know guys that carried a handgun .22 in their coat for this purpose, but carrying two guns is illegal here I' m pretty sure. So I was wondering what some of you people do when your in this situation? With slugs, it can be quite a mess..[:' (]
Old 09-13-2003, 03:39 PM

Default RE: shotgun hunting

cut the deers throat.fast ,simple, quite.

THE BEST NEVER REST.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just back away and let the deer succumb on his own unless it wasn' t a fatal shot. Then a close one in the neck or heart, or head if its not a trophy, should do it without to much loss. PS. Before you tackle any wild animal with your bare hands and knife make sure he is really down for the count and not stunned,wounded or grazed. Why do you think you make sure its dead before gutting it?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:04 PM

Cutting the throat or another shot to the head. I don' t let them linger if I can help it.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Ya but with slugs there is ALOT of loss, and shooting it in the head from close range wouldnt be pretty.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Either a head shot or heart shot will put them down quick, I wouldn' t gamble on slitting the throat on one that is not expired.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in NJ and IL and have never had a problem with slugs knocking down deer for the kill. I have occasionally gotten excited at a buck buck and shot more than once but most of my kills have been one shot affairs. If you place the shot correctly, the deer is going down; especially with the tremendouce foot pounds of energy from a 12ga 2 3/4" of 3" slug.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ya but with slugs there is ALOT of loss, and shooting it in the head from close range wouldnt be pretty.
Doesn' t make much of a mess at all.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Hmm. Interesting

I never had that problem using slugs, OOO etc., if it was a fatal hit as someone has mentioned there wouldn' t have been a need.

In any case, my rule of thumb is to let the deer expire always works best unless it attempts to take off again.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:11 PM

Well, I hit it in the spine or neck because she dropped right away..

Quick Reply: shotgun hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.