Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cleaning the Rem 700 >

Cleaning the Rem 700

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning the Rem 700

Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cleaning the Rem 700

I have a Rem Model 700 ADL synthetic stock, which got soaked in the rain my last hunt. I removed the stock in order to get it dry and lubricated.
My question is when you put the stock back on, do you need to re-sight the gun? I noticed the main screw which attaches the action to the stock was cranked down pretty tight.. so did not know if it could affect the point of impact if you did not torque it exactly like it was originally.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Default RE: Cleaning the Rem 700

Yes, you should re-zero the gun. Unless the stock is properly bedded, the point of impact will probably change when you remove and replace the stock. You might get lucky, and the gun will still be zeroed, but this is usually the exception, not the rule.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: sky_guy_61

I have a Rem Model 700 ADL synthetic stock, which got soaked in the rain my last hunt. I removed the stock in order to get it dry and lubricated.
My question is when you put the stock back on, do you need to re-sight the gun? I noticed the main screw which attaches the action to the stock was cranked down pretty tight.. so did not know if it could affect the point of impact if you did not torque it exactly like it was originally.
I always keep the same torque on the front action allen screw. I tigten it to 50 in-lbs. And the back just tight enough. And that has helped me keep it zero'd for the most part. But I would definately rezero before hunting.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Got rid ofthe re-zeroing problem when re-installing the stock.The actions of my Remington 700 rifles are glass beddedand have floated barrels. ido not need to re-zerothem when the stock is removed. Dittofor the Ruger and the Mathieu. They all shot better after glassing the actions and floating the barrels.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Got rid ofthe re-zeroing problem when re-installing the stock.The actions of my Remington 700 rifles are glass beddedand have floated barrels. ido not need to re-zerothem when the stock is removed. Dittofor the Ruger and the Mathieu. They all shot better after glassing the actions and floating the barrels.
All mine are glass bedded too. Most pillar bedded, and still my POI can change 1 MOA or so.

So you say yours do not move at all when disassembled.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, the ADL synthetic has two upward presure pads in the barrel channel all the way forward, if it were freefloated this would not be nessary.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! I'm glad I asked because the owners manual does not mention anything about re-zeroing after disassembling for maintenance.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM

"So you say yours do not move at all when disassembled."

Not even one little bit.i snug up the forward screw pretty good by hand andtighten the rear one just a little.I have seen folks tighten the screws too much and crack the bedding. My Mathieu is pillar bedded. The others are not. i do the work myself.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have several rifles that do not move POI when removing and re-installing the stock. I think that it has to do with the bedding job and using a torque driver to ensure that the torque is the same each time. If your POI is moving, I think that something is being stressed somewhere.