Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Improving your overall shooting >

Improving your overall shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Improving your overall shooting

Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Improving your overall shooting

Quality practice at various distances and positionswith equipment that properly fits and is matched to the shooter.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies...

But, seems like everyone is divided on what kind of breathing is best!
Hold your breath, exhale before the shot, exhale 50%... ect
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im seeing everything in these posts with the exception of propper body alignment.Its just as important as trigger squeeze,and breathing.
In my experiance,half a breath still in the lungs is best when you stop breathing.but sometimes you need to develope your own technique.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

Thanks for all the replies...

But, seems like everyone is divided on what kind of breathing is best!
Hold your breath, exhale before the shot, exhale 50%... ect
Between heartbeatsaround 50% exhale.

Fire as soon as you aquire target. The object is to learn tobe accuratewithout thought.
Fire from all positions possible.
Hanging upside down from a low limb is a good way to learn to fire awkward. (safety concern ? use bb repeater)
Hunt smallgame/furbearers with rifle. The best "training" I know of.
Aside from sighting inand learning wind never shoot from a bench.
Always wear full hunting gear.
Use small targets and moving targets.
Increase/Decrease shot distance/angle at random.
If you ever get a "thought" try it, what may not work for others may work for you.
Use your sling.
Use the heaviest recoiling rifle you own as much as possible but dont overdo it.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Im seeing everything in these posts with the exception of propper body alignment.Its just as important as trigger squeeze,and breathing.
In my experiance,half a breath still in the lungs is best when you stop breathing.but sometimes you need to develope your own technique.
This is true.

I would just throw the qualifier out there that you may not always have the luxury of taking the time or space to set your feet properly, or control your breathing for that matter. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't practice it. Body alignment will defintely help you stay steadier, especially in the off hand position. It's less critical IMO in the other positions as they will often be dicated by terrain and circumstance.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

Between heartbeats
That's gotta be tricky...
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM

practice practice practice and lots of patience. joining forums such as this to get tips and tricks. talking with people at the local ranges. if you shoot a rifle or pistol enough and experiment with every ammo possible, you will find the most accurate combination and know the limits of your gun. i use the deep breath, let is out halfway and sqeeze. once i sqeeze as much accuracy as i ca out of my hunting rifle and pistol setup's on the bench, i try to only shoot off hand as offhand shots account for about 50% of my shots in the field. i've also found that with my new addiction to 17 hmr, wind is a big factor. 17hmr gets pushed around quite a bit by the wind. some people have said that on windy days that take a diffent caliber into the field. i practice shooting off the bench and offhand shots on windy days specifically to know where my shot is gonna go.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

Between heartbeats
That's gotta be tricky...
Yes Sir. But worthy of mastering.
If you can not "feel"your pulseyour form "may" need work.
Not important for99% ofshots but those that wish for maximum consistency must learn this "old" technique.
IMO

Also learn to spot creatures bythe mirage left bybody heat.
This may not help your shooting but will help you read nature which is most important.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya make a good point SCOUT.A tight loop sling will have you seeing your heartbeat in your crosshairs.It will throw the round way off at 300yds.Let alone 500.In the prone position,I like to make sure my body alignment is on,just incase a followup is needed(or im at the range).Im already there.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Ya make a good point SCOUT.A tight loop sling will have you seeing your heartbeat in your crosshairs.It will throw the round way off at 300yds.Let alone 500.In the prone position,I like to make sure my body alignment is on,just incase a followup is needed(or im at the range).Im already there.
Easily the difference between a Wound and a Kill.

Quick Reply: Improving your overall shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.