Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun shooting low and left. >

Shotgun shooting low and left.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun shooting low and left.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shotgun shooting low and left.

Perhaps it's the way I'm looking down the barrel. But. Your advice would be helpful. I got a new Stoger Model 2000 12 ga. shotgun for Christmas and took it out to go ahead and pattern it for turkey. It has a fantastic pattern at 20, 30, and even 40 yards with the turkey choke provided. However, I'm putting the pattern about 6 in' low and left each shot. Consistantly so I know it's me not the gun. How do I change my head placement OR has anyone everused a HiViz TriViz front and back sight? Or is there a better option? The front sight on the gun is already truglow. Could I just get a rear sight? Agan anyfeedback would be appreciated. Thanks,

Chuck
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Shotgun shooting low and left.

I use fiber optic sights on my turkey gun. Extra full turkey chokes at closer distances are about like shooting a slug. If your gun is on that is great, but most times it will be off. The clamp on sights work pretty well and are easy to see. Some are a bit cheesy and a pain to adjust though.

Paul
Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

big...My turkey gun shoots high and right...with Winchester Supremes...With Federal Premiums, I'm dead on...If you don't want to add sights, might try changing ammo...Good Luck
Old 12-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar problem with my 1300, so I ended up scoping my gun.
Does your gun have the reciever drilled and tapped for scope mounts?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure if it's drilled and tapped I'll have to check. I'll try another brand of ammo though I used Winchester Supremes. I'll give the federal a try.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigpapa

Perhaps it's the way I'm looking down the barrel. But. Your advice would be helpful. I got a new Stoger Model 2000 12 ga. shotgun for Christmas and took it out to go ahead and pattern it for turkey. It has a fantastic pattern at 20, 30, and even 40 yards with the turkey choke provided. However, I'm putting the pattern about 6 in' low and left each shot. Consistantly so I know it's me not the gun. How do I change my head placement OR has anyone everused a HiViz TriViz front and back sight? Or is there a better option? The front sight on the gun is already truglow. Could I just get a rear sight? Agan anyfeedback would be appreciated. Thanks,

Chuck
Just about most shotguns I have patterned, POI is always off to some point. For turkey, I believe its necassary to get some good adjustable sights. I put some trivis on my 870, and had to adjust to the max and still little off at 40 yards. Lots of good sights out there.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 AM

For your problem go out and purchase a HiViz TriViz sight. I use one often and they are a sponsor for the tv show i work with. www.outdoorsmenadventures.com The sight will improve the way you hold the gun and give you a straighter view. It worked with me and with other people as well im sure it will work with you. It is priced very reasonable and you wont be digging deep in the wallet trying to afford one.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

You got a couple of choices - one, hold high right (not recommended) or try a different load. Sometimes that's all that you need to do. Sights would probably help too. Probably just putting the sight on will raise your POI as you won't be looking down the rib.