Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying a Rifle? >

Buying a Rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a Rifle?

Old 12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying a Rifle?

when buying a rifle what kind of checks do they do? My background should be good, but what about credit reports and stuff like that?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Buying a Rifle?

It varies by state. Mississippi basically just makes sure you aren't a certified by law looney or have any type of felony that would keep you from owning one. It takes less than 5 minutes and is done over the phone. I can't imagine them needing to do a credit report check unless you were financing it?

and no offense but if you have to finance a rifle you probably dont' really need it...
Old 12-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

You'll fill out the federal and state firearm transfer forms and go through a criminal background check performed by the state police. There's absolutely no reason to check your credit since finances have nothing to do with the legality of firearm ownership/transfer.

I see that not all statesare permitted to allow dealers to contactthe state authorities forthe NICS--some FFL dealers contact the FBI directly.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm
Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never even heard of financing a rifle, unless you are using a credit card to buy it or using store credit. In either case, it will reflect on your credit one way or another. But if you are asking if it is part of the background check in order to purchas the gun, no, they do not run a credit check. At least in my state they dont. As long as you arent a stalker or drug smuggler or beat your wife, you should be good to go. Oh yeah, you cannot be a defector either. So as long as you havent just snuck accross the border you are ok there too.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year at Bass Pro they had a deal if you fill out for their credit card you got 10% off of that days purchases I bought a rifle & scope and other goodies for about 1300$ and got 130$ off that day. I paid off the card as soon as I got the bill and then canceled it.

Just to purchase the gun you wont have a credit check.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Spike

From what I've gone through, it was just a quick background check. And we are talking quick...maybe took 5 minutes andhad my gun in hand and out the door.

Gun shows (in Texas) I don't believe have requirements for any type of checks though. I bought a gun there and no paperwork at all, except for thesales.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM

In most cases they are just going to check to see if you have voilent crimes. A big one they look for is domestic violence charges, but a lot of felonies can prohibit you from owning a firearm.

You would know if you couldn't own one, they probably would have told you in court when you were sentenced.

I honestly couldn't tell you how well the background check is though.

If you have never had any legal problems or been considered mentally incompetent (sp?) I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't imagine them doing a credit check unless you were buying a very expensive rifle and financing it. I have put guns on law a way before and they still didn't do a credit check. If credit was an issue I wouldn't own any guns at all.

It is going to depend on what state you live in though. Some states require you to have a firearms card a FOID card I think it is called. And if you decide to get a handgun it is a bit different in some places.

Paul