Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted >

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Old 12-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Well I think I'm gonna start shoppin for a stainless BLR in 300WSM and see what i come up with. I gotta check Walmart and see if its among the Browning weapons they can order since thats always the cheapbet. So far i've heard what i needed to decide. i'm goin stainless though b/ci can be rough on a gun sometimes.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Have fun. dont over look the 308 or 30-06 roundseither .
Old 12-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

I've owned two of these..one in .284 Win and the other in 7mm-08 Rem. Best damn woods rifles ever. No problems, highly accurate and exremely versatile, each was more than capable of 250-300 yard shots.

I would give my left arm to have the .284 back... [:@]
Old 12-26-2006, 07:49 AM

Very smooth accurate rifle. It fits me perfectly. I have a new model in 7mm-08. It's light and fast. The newer models have an alloy receiver which I like and there are several upgrades on the new models over the older models. I'd go for one that was made after 1997.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:11 AM

think basspro would have any BLRs? I wanna shoulder one and I'm goin sometime this week.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know the one in Harrisburg Pa has had them, other then that I cant help you much though.

Give them a call. Im not sure where you are at. I always call around for prices and availability for guns.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM

I was surfing through and just happened to read this thread.

I own the Browning 81 lightweight stainless BLR in .300 WSM with the straight stock. This rifle along with my Marlin 45/70 are my all time favorites.

Because it is a light rifle you have to make sure you use two hands when shooting, even prone, or the scope will ding your head. My accuracy seems slightly less than a quality bolt action, but not enough to worry about in the field. I made a very long one shot kill on a deer this year, prone supported on my backpack. I forget to hold the forearm and dinged my head, again.

I use the Leupold base and rings. I had Weaver and my scope kept moving probably because it is a magnum. On another deer I shot the concussion from therifle blastcracked my windshield. I was standing beside my truck with the side window openand my rifle was in the bed. I jumped out, grabbed the rifle, worked the lever to chamber a round, and fired.

This rifle is a blast, but never forget you are shooting a magnum in a lightweight. MV out!

EDIT- I found this: Browning BLR 81 in 300 WSM The stainless are cool though.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.
What do you mean not Traditional. Im not argueing it is or isnt, just not sure what you mean. Is it because the trigger stays with the lever when you chamber a new round?. Levers are prob the guns I have the least experience with just wondering.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Great rifles. I've had two, both in .308 winchester. No complaints with either.

When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional.
Now that's funny!

Quick Reply: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.