Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted >

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Old 12-26-2006, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.
Well I am aware of the new cartridge and a strong marlin supporter, but i've heard it a 350-450yard round more less. i want range beyond that just in case. i dont want to take a shot past 150 yards but if i am ever out west or in a situation where maybe the *only* chance i have is 600 yards or something like that I want to be up to the task. and I like long range target shooting. love hearing a distant clang on a metal target. I'll still be getting a new Marlin 45-70 next year but I want to have a new go-to gun capable of anything.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.
From what I've read, it produces basically the same ballistics as the .308 winchester. The differences being it's a rimmed cartridge and a touch shorter in overall length than the .308 win. I got to hold and inspect one of the new XLR rifles the other day at the local gun shop. It's a very nice rifle, expensive too. They had it tagged at $750.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/marline_122106/

Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM

I have a .308 BLR that I bought in '89. I killed quite a few deer with it. Never had any problems.All I ever shot out of it was Rem. Core-Lokts.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM

The BLR 81 is a great rifle! I've owned one in .358 Win since 1991 and use it for all my NY and PA hunts plus I take it as a back up on my western trips.
The rifle is light yet very solid and suprisingly is very accurate. I handload for mine and can make the .358 Win do just about anything I want it to do. I have saved most of my targets that I test handloads on to keep in my recipe log book. I can prove two separate targets shot at 100 yds off the bench that group just a hair over 1", like 1.02" with a 225 grain Sierra SPBT Gameking, or about the same size with a 200 grain RN. I never expected this kind of accuracy from a lever; bolt gun yes, lever:WOW!
It comes up to the shoulder very easy and points well, like its part of you.
I have a Leupold 2X7 VXII on it and just flat out love this gun and caliber.
You won't be disipointed if you purchase a BLR!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 PM

well unfortunately basspro didnt have *any* BLRs so i'm still itchin to shoulder one. Walmart doesnt show the stainless steel models in the 2006 special order book but i'm hopin they will be available in the 07 catalogs to order and maybe i can find one somewhere to shoulder. all i know though is i'm gettin the stainless in 300WSM

Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

The stainless are nice looking rifles, expensive, but very nice.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63010572
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 AM

I have a BLR 81 Lightweight in .308. Itsa very good...very light, quick handling rifle. The quality is very high in my opinion. Somebody here says that they have a 5.5lb trigger pull?? Mine is about 4lbs and it is so clean, smooth, and crisp it is actually impressive. (not as nice as the Tikka mind you) I would not hesitate to repeat this purchase.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

i got the Marlin 1895 Gude gun in 45-70 Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

My levers are: Marlin 1895 45-70, Marlin 30-30, Win Pre 64 30-30, BLR 308. All are very high-quality firearms. That said, the BLR is the finest of the bunch. It's the most accurate, and has a silky-smooth action. Trigger is great too.

I have about 10 deer guns, but always seem to walk out the door with my BLR.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned 3 blrs now. One in .308 and two in .358. I have no doubt that I will own another, likely a lightweight in .358.

Quick Reply: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.