Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77 problem  .243 >

Ruger M77 problem .243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77 problem .243

Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger M77 problem .243

Hmmm..the hump is to be on the left???? The hump has two tapers one steep and one not so steep. With the hump on the left the steeper of the two is in the back....and the bolt catches on that. Also, I don't see a "magazine box". Its just wood on the side. The barrel has never been removed.Gettin closer to that tikka.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you bought the gun new, you don't know if the barrel has ever been off the stock....A Ruger M-77 with a tang safety has a magazine box inside the cartridge well...I own one, my brother owns one, both have it and if yours does not....There is your problem.....
Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah Hahhh!!!! Now we're getting somewhere! Correct. Every 77 I've ever owned, and that's afew, have had a magazine box. They HAVE to, to work properly. Without that box to guide the follower it's just flopping around in there. No wonder you're having problems!! Get a smith or get online and order the part yourself.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Yup thats the problem. I went to a gun shop today and looked over a few Ruger M77s. I couldn't tell you where that box is now. A little history on the gun. My father bought it new many years ago. It has never been to a gunsmith. He may have taken it apart to clean it and forgot to put it back in. How hard is that procedure? Looks like two screws and I am done. Anything I should be concerned with?

Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, three screws...The larger front one that holds the barrel to the stock and two smaller ones on the trigger guard...No real suprises except the front one is tightened good and tight with a larger screwdriver and the smaller ones on the trigger guard, just snug up good...I'm sure someone will chime in with the specs (I think its 65 inch pounds on the front and25-30 on the rear two)...I don't own an inch pound torque wrench...Just do it by feel....

btw...Tighten the front one first, then the rear two...

While you have it down, I'd clean the trigger area as well...
Old 12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

NC,

Thanks for your help. Its at the smith now. Screw it, I am just gonna leave it with him. I saw on the Ruger website that it was around $4 for the box and about the same for the spring. Hopefully the guy doesn't try and give it to me. We shall see.

Thanks again for the help.

Nate
Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Actually, three screws...The larger front one that holds the barrel to the stock and two smaller ones on the trigger guard...No real suprises except the front one is tightened good and tight with a larger screwdriver and the smaller ones on the trigger guard, just snug up good...I'm sure someone will chime in with the specs (I think its 65 inch pounds on the front and25-30 on the rear two)...I don't own an inch pound torque wrench...Just do it by feel....

btw...Tighten the front one first, then the rear two...

While you have it down, I'd clean the trigger area as well...
It's 35 in-lbs minimum and 90 in-lbs maximum on the diagonal screw; 30-50 on the trigger guard screws. Keep your diagonal screw tight and it should shoot well enough for hunting. The torque values are there for someone that wants to get that last little bit of accuracy out of their rifle. Or for someone that wound up with one of the occasional lemons. Just chiming in.. I plain forgot about the mag box myself.. [&o]
Old 12-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont ya love this site at times like this. Glad everyone helped you figure it out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Dont ya love this site at times like this. Glad everyone helped you figure it out.
Even though, me and haugenna, have had our differences, I'll still help him out the best I can.