Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77 problem  .243 >

Ruger M77 problem .243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77 problem .243

Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Ruger M77 problem .243

You might get $300-$350 for it. You should probably trade it and put some money towards a Tikka Lite.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

You might get $300-$350 for it. You should probably trade it and put some money towards a Tikka Lite.
You can try about that.. think I saw one on THR or TFL going about that range.. but it hasn't sold yet. Main issue is the barrels from the older ones don't have a good rep, even though most were fine and still are. A few bad ones slipped out and played havoc on rumors...
If it wasn't so close to Xmas, I'd just might offer you a lil' sumthin' sumthin' on it as a Ruger .243 is my next rifle goal. To be honest, I think the mag feed issue should be a relatively easy fix.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

The heck with it. I am buying a tikka tomorrow. Anyone interested, make me an offer on it. Rings included.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 PM

your feed lips guiding the rounds to the chamber are bent out of whack....this would prevent the rounds from staying in the mag and allow them to pop out prematurely when feeding...an easy fix for a gunsmith to do....dont sell the ruger short just yet....plus the older m77s are kinda nice....how does it shoot anyway - besides the feeding problem?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

FLcracker...

Shot the 55 grainers from Winchester supreme decent. Not too proud but decent.I am burning through the rest of the ammo now and going to start handloading.

What are feeding lips and could I fix them?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

update:

I have to load two in the magazine just to get them to stay down. I load 3 fine and 4 fine. A fifth fits and stays down and is in proper loading position. When I cycle the fifth it pops out before I can cycle it in. Number 4 works great, number 3 works good, wont grab number 2. When 1 and 2 are in the magazine, number 1 is loose. Keep in mind on the order....number 1 is put in with an empty magazine. Maybe I will try the smith tomorrow and then the gun store.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 AM

I agree with some of the latter statements, its probably your magazine feeding lips, I'm pretty sure a smith will be able to fix that for a small fee, and then, after he corrects this problem, you need to make sure that you really want to sell it, because, you never know, it could be a pretty decent gun, once the bugs get fixed.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tell you what...I'll give you $200 for it....Just let me know....

After I get it I'll let you know what's wrong with it....

PS...I own a 1980 model Ruger .243 that I bought new....I've got a pretty idea what has happened....And...I'll also bet that the gun will group well...With the right ammo...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is the the mag spring, that Z-shaped spring under the follower has been bent or otherwise messed with.

I took a 77 to the NH plant because a "smith" lost safety parts when doing some work for me. While at the plant I mentioned that after firing a shot or two,the unfired PSP bullets left in the mag were slamming into the front mag wall and getting damaged. I was told it was the mag spring.

That could explain why the follower is not bearing properly against a cartridge or two, and they seem loose. I can't say for sure why a cartridge would pop out, but it could be a related problem. Trying to recall what the mag lips look like, but can't. Also can't see how those would get damaged, if they exist at all, they do not come out of the gun when you unload via the DBM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try this...I bet that at some point the barrel was removed from the stock and the magazine box (D-27 in the Ruger Operator's Manuel) was put in wrong...
Make sure the taper on the box goes to the front...While you are at it, make sure the Magazine Spring (D-33) is installed properly...The "hump" should be on the left, so the last 5th cartridge is on the right of the magazine...

I prefer the older "tang" safety Rugers to the newer 3 position safety...The trigger on the tang safetys can be adjusted and I prefer the tang type safety. Its easy, quiet and fast...

Quick Reply: Ruger M77 problem .243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.