Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.204 Rifle

Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 PM

Default RE: .204 Rifle

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

So when I hear people say a 22-250 will perform better, not sure where they get thier information.
Ok I guess I have to spell it out for you like everything else.

36 grains, 3640 fps, 1154 ft/lbs, BC: .267

Trajectory with 200 yard zero

300: -5.0 400: -15.1 500: -31.8

.22-250

55 grains, 3680 fps, 1654 ft/lbs BC: .257

Trajectory with 200 yard zero

300:-5.0 400: -15.4 500: -32.8

Go head and let me know when you figure out why you'd want a .204.

*Data from the Federal catalog*

Federal? Who shoots federal ammo. Man we roll our own around here. This is the guns forum.

Well, I have a 204 encore with a 26" barrel that kicks out a 32gr V-maxbullet at 4150fps and seen some that does it up to 4300fps with less than 29gr of powder. That has the same BC as a 22-250 40gr. You do the math. The best I ever seen anyone put a 22-250 40gr bullet is 4000fps and that took 12 more grains powder.

See there's a huge difference between you and I. I actually shoot and own these rifles. You keep reading about what we are shooting and believing factory ammo box's. So again spell it out forme? Even your own data shows a larger drop. You can't just go thru the internet and pick and choose the data that suits your arguments. You actually have to go out and shoot guns.

I shoot Federals.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 PM
bigcountry

You shoot federals 204?

Here b attack, you love internet data. I don't always buy it but I know its your source of all info. Go here and show where the 22-250 is flatter.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=PRA204A*P RA204B*PRA2250RB

Or go to Hornady's webpage and show me where? I don't need to go to federals page, you already showed that the 204 can outperform the 22-250.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM

You shoot federals 204?

Here b attack, you love internet data. I don't always buy it but I know its your source of all info. Go here and show where the 22-250 is flatter.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=PRA204A*P RA204B*PRA2250RB

Or go to Hornady's webpage and show me where? I don't need to go to federals page, you already showed that the 204 can outperform the 22-250.
No, I dont shoot Fed. 204's, silly goose, but, I do shoot Federal ammo.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man we roll our own around here.
Based on most of your posts I believe you trust me.

Well, I have a 204 encore with a 26" barrel that kicks out a 32gr V-maxbullet at 4150fps and seen some that does it up to 4300fps with less than 29gr of powder. That has the same BC as a 22-250 40gr. You do the math. The best I ever seen anyone put a 22-250 40gr bullet is 4000fps and that took 12 more grains powder.

See there's a huge difference between you and I. I actually shoot and own these rifles. You keep reading about what we are shooting and believing factory ammo box's. So again spell it out forme? Even your own data shows a larger drop. You can't just go thru the internet and pick and choose the data that suits your arguments. You actually have to go out and shoot guns.
I couldn't pick and choose. There is only one load for the .204 in the catalog! Yeah it's a winner alright.

Any reloader will be able to get better performance out of any cartridge. I'm comparing apples to apples, the factory tests are in SAAMI chambers with the same length barrels. Reloaders can't test for less variables than that it's an even a field as it gets when comparing two cartridges.

If you consider a 0.3 inchgreater drop at 400 yards and a 1.0 inch greater drop at 500 yards to be anything substantial then you are smoking crack. Remember that is with a 55 gr. bullet!! Not 39 gr. Good Lord I would hope a .204 can push a 16 gr. lighter bullet at least a tiny bit flatter!

When a .22-250 can push a 16 gr. heavier bullet as fast or faster than the .204 can push a 39 gr.then...um....if you don't see that you're retarded.

Yes I know in your infinite wisdom you've owned and shot all guns, you're older than me, you're more experienced blah blah blah.

I guess the only people that are able to formulate an intelligent opinion are those that have the guns in hand.That doesn't say much about your intellect does it? I guess if you haven't seen it then it can't possibly be true...
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You shoot federals 204?

I don't remember saying that the .22-250 shot flatter but for the sake of argument I'll play along.

Um...the Remington bullets have a lower BC. Would you expect them to shoot flatter than the Federal? This proves what? That all .22-250 loads aren't created equal?

*GASP* we have a MENSA applicant here!

OK I went to Hornady's page. They are less than 0.3 inches apart @ 400 yards with 40 gr. bullets.

Was that supposed to prove something or did you just want me to go there?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 PM

Brutal, like I said before, I'll be in Denver, you pick the place.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: b1gcountry

Um.....ok. Because I plan on driving down there to satisfy the grudge of some chubby poster from an internet forum.

I think that may also be illegal in several states LOL!

You aren't kiddin' when you say "big" are you? lol [8D]Whooee I've seen500 lb sowswith less impressive jowls.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: b1gcountry

Um.....ok. Because I plan on driving down there to satisfy the grudge of some chubby poster from an internet forum.

I think that may also be illegal in several states LOL!

You aren't kiddin' when you say "big" are you? lol [8D]Whooee I've seen500 lb sowswith less impressive jowls.
Thats tough talk, from a guy who gets his ballistics off of the internet. And BUYS FACTORY AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:42 AM
bigcountry

Mossy, you pretty funny guy. Yea, I know its you. All the signatures of a classic mossy prank.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM
bigcountry

I couldn't pick and choose. There is only one load for the .204 in the catalog! Yeah it's a winner alright.

Any reloader will be able to get better performance out of any cartridge. I'm comparing apples to apples, the factory tests are in SAAMI chambers with the same length barrels. Reloaders can't test for less variables than that it's an even a field as it gets when comparing two cartridges.
Again, lack of experience on your part. The 204 along along with the other newer Hornady rounds like 460Smith, handloaders has not been able to come within 100fps of thier loaded ammo. They are using alot of blends which we can't match. Yes, it used to be the case that a handlaoder could exceed in most circumstances, but there are exceptions. The factory 204 has been documented at kicking from 4200fps to 4300fps. I cannot get that with my own ammo. Listen man, I never was stupid enough to say something without actually shooting or owning these guns. You said outperform. When shooting groundhogs or prair dogs, 32gr or 39gr will easily get the job done, you are looking for flattness, and I was looking for barrel life and flattness.

I guess the only people that are able to formulate an intelligent opinion are those that have the guns in hand.That doesn't say much about your intellect does it? I guess if you haven't seen it then it can't possibly be true...
You know one can read data some and formulate an idea, not a fact, but its seems you do quite a bit of it. In fact its 90% of your posts. Others on here read and listen, and thats fine. Whensomeone gets up into African big game guns, you don't see me get on here spouting off internet crap I read. I have very little experience with them. So I keep my mouth shut. As you should too. When someone gets on the page to talk about Alaskian hunting, you don't hear me make a peep. Idon't have the experience.Somebody comes on the reloading forum and asks about bullet casting or shotshell reloading, I don't reply, cause I have very littleexperience in those areas.Experience is lives best lesson. If you don't have experience at it, keep your mouth shut. Its that easy.

Quick Reply: .204 Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.