Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new moose gun help? >

new moose gun help?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new moose gun help?

Old 12-17-2006, 08:59 PM

Default RE: new moose gun help?

yes I am interested I sent you an email..thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tcuser

yes I am interested I sent you an email..thanks
I didn't get it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:23 PM

shoot me an email [email protected]

Old 12-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

.338 Win. Mag. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

tcuser: Check out the classifieds here. There is a .338 Ultra Mag for sale and the guy wants $1000 for it. But it comes with a VX-III, accurized, etc... Very nice rifle for the price. I would buy it, but I have no need for something that big.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I should mention the reason I choose .300 and .338 is thats what others in my group shoot and if in a bind ammo and such could be shared, I really just want the best shooting really I have shot a moose with a .338 and it dropped it hard, aswell I have seen the .300 plant them too..were we hunt shots can be far aswell.
I can't say I have ever seen a hunter carry a 338 in Newfoundland where I go. But if I was hunting in BC or Alaska, I might consider it for a good combo rifle.
I find that odd, I thought the .338 was one of the premier cartridges, to use in Canada.
.303 british has probably killed more canadian moose then any other. Most moose hunters up here use what they got. While the moose is a large beast we don't really find them all that tough to topple. They take a hitwell but often don't go far. That said for a combobig bearand moose I think the 338wm is great place to be.

PersonallyI have taken moose with .270-.300wby. I can't say I noticed any difference, with a well placed shot they all fall hard! I now use a 7mm rem mag.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 AM

If you're thinking a bear hunt might be in your future, I think the .338 makes a better choice. There's nothing wrong with the .300, but I like bigger bullets, and I've never really heard any serious complaints from people using too much gun. Not in Alaska anyway.

In fact, I know a few people that use a .375H&H for hunting EVERYTHING in Alaska. They figure they might only be hunting caribou or moose, but there's always a chance of running into a bear. When I asked one guy about it, he responded with a quick "bear trumps moose" explanation.

As for rifles, I think the two you have picked out are just fine. Personally, I like Remingtons. You can get a stainless 700 SPS for a little over $500. You can also get a stainless Weatherby Vangard for about the same money. This will save you a few bucks you can put towards optics. The bottom line is that you need to find one that YOU like and are comfortable with. There are a lot of good rifles on the market.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
DM

30-06 does work well on moose, i know this from experience not hearsay... You DO need to use heavy bullets and that means 200 grain not 220's... I by far prefer NP's...

7 Rem. mag. also does a great job, and you need to feed it 175 grain bullets for best performance on moose.. Once again i'd use NP's and it also is fine on big bears with that load...

Everything above that is just more of the same, (with more recoil) but you do need to use heavier bullets in each case to get good penetration and also to "break" a bear down if you go bear hunting.

DM
Old 12-18-2006, 12:12 PM

I agree completely. Lots of guys in Alaska are packing around way bigger guns than they really need just in case a bear enters the stage.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I should mention the reason I choose .300 and .338 is thats what others in my group shoot and if in a bind ammo and such could be shared, I really just want the best shooting really I have shot a moose with a .338 and it dropped it hard, aswell I have seen the .300 plant them too..were we hunt shots can be far aswell.
I can't say I have ever seen a hunter carry a 338 in Newfoundland where I go. But if I was hunting in BC or Alaska, I might consider it for a good combo rifle.
I find that odd, I thought the .338 was one of the premier cartridges, to use in Canada.
.303 british has probably killed more canadian moose then any other. Most moose hunters up here use what they got. While the moose is a large beast we don't really find them all that tough to topple. They take a hitwell but often don't go far. That said for a combobig bearand moose I think the 338wm is great place to be.

PersonallyI have taken moose with .270-.300wby. I can't say I noticed any difference, with a well placed shot they all fall hard! I now use a 7mm rem mag.
Thanks for enlightening me on that, Skeeter.

Quick Reply: new moose gun help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.