HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new moose gun help?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new moose gun help?

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: tcuser

I should mention the reason I choose .300 and .338 is thats what others in my group shoot and if in a bind ammo and such could be shared, I really just want the best shooting really I have shot a moose with a .338 and it dropped it hard, aswell I have seen the .300 plant them too..were we hunt shots can be far aswell.
I can't say I have ever seen a hunter carry a 338 in Newfoundland where I go. But if I was hunting in BC or Alaska, I might consider it for a good combo rifle.
I find that odd, I thought the .338 was one of the premier cartridges, to use in Canada.
.303 british has probably killed more canadian moose then any other. Most moose hunters up here use what they got. While the moose is a large beast we don't really find them all that tough to topple. They take a hitwell but often don't go far. That said for a combobig bearand moose I think the 338wm is great place to be.

PersonallyI have taken moose with .270-.300wby. I can't say I noticed any difference, with a well placed shot they all fall hard! I now use a 7mm rem mag.