Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06? >

Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

ORIGINAL: TerryM

By not answering my question which was " did you shoot that load through a chrono or just read a brochure" you just confirm to me that you did not and just parrot marketing brochure claims that are obtained with long pressure barrels in very controlled environments. And I never commented on wether or not you are a good shooter. Your whole demeanor and often incorrect advice and opinions here is getting old. I'm done with this.
You said yourself the numbersare close. Why are you asking me? Do you expect me to tell you anything different?

The factorynumbers come from SAAMI test chambers with 24" barrel length.

Is there something wrong with that? They are usually pretty close to real world performance out of the same length barrel.

I don't see what you should be getting all huffy about. Asking me if I read it in a "brochure". Get over yourself.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: TerryM

By not answering my question which was " did you shoot that load through a chrono or just read a brochure" you just confirm to me that you did not and just parrot marketing brochure claims that are obtained with long pressure barrels in very controlled environments. And I never commented on wether or not you are a good shooter. Your whole demeanor and often incorrect advice and opinions here is getting old. I'm done with this.
You said yourself the numbersare close. Why are you asking me? Do you expect me to tell you anything different?

The factorynumbers come from SAAMI test chambers with 24" barrel length.

Is there something wrong with that? They are usually pretty close to real world performance out of the same length barrel.

I don't see what you should be getting all huffy about. Asking me if I read it in a "brochure". Get over yourself.
Again, lack of experience here. A quality krieger or lija test barrel, usually builds more velocity than a factory hammer forged mass quanity barrel.Alot ofcompanies do not use pressure barrels. Sierra for instance does not. They use regular factory rifles, and thier data shows it too IMO. Remington does on occasion but mostly not. Federal does not advertise if they do or do not, and does not tell you if its 24" or 20".

Keep talkin BA, show us what you know. Or read.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I tell you what. I have the chronos, I have the rifles. I will put my money up. You show me a 308 that kick out a 180gr bullet at 2800fps with hunting accuracy, thats 1MOA, and we will talk money.Youcan't do it.
This is the Federal High Energy 180gr. going 2740 @ 200 yards

So much for your theory that high energy loads aren't capable of "hunting accuracy" as you're so fond of saying.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is at 100 yards.

Oh yeah and these are all off my daypack with brass from a AK hitting my feet/legs. [:@]

Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, lack of experience here. A quality krieger or lija test barrel, usually builds more velocity than a factory hammer forged mass quanity barrel.Alot ofcompanies do not use pressure barrels. Sierra for instance does not. They use regular factory rifles, and thier data shows it too IMO. Remington does on occasion but mostly not. Federal does not advertise if they do or do not, and does not tell you if its 24" or 20".

Again lack of knowledge here. I personally know andregularly speak withtwo different Federal engineers and the guy who writes the Speer reloading manual is my father in law. Plus my good friend builds the machines that make thier bullets. I may know a little bit about the processes behind making and testing loads.

Ok I guess you would know huh?

Man you people permanently live in Fantasy land. Or just have huge egos one of the two.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

another

Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

stupid pictures size limits

Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 PM

FWIW.....I shoot between 2500 and 3000 rounds of .308 a year, and I love it! I've shot .308 from 25 to 1000 ydsand can say in spite of my confidence in this cartridge there is NOTHING the .308 can do that the 30/06 can't do better. The only thing the .308 has going for it is the fact that it can be had in short action rifles. The recoil issue is mute. Handloading can level the playing field as the 06 can be loaded down and even now "reduced" light factory loaded 06 ammo can be had. Going in the other direction the old 06 can be loaded to near 300mag numbers and makes a finemedium/long range Elk killer.

In spite of my fondness for my tack driving .308's the old 06 is a better round!

sierra6
Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Federal does not advertise if they do or do not, and does not tell you if its 24" or 20".

Are you really that stupid? It tells the barrel length right in the catalog on the right most column for every single load!

Keep talkin BC, show us what you don't know. Or that you apparently can't read.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

Again lack of knowledge here. I personally know andregularly speak withtwo different Federal engineers and the guy who writes the Speer reloading manual is my father in law. Plus my good friend builds the machines that make thier bullets. I may know a little bit about the processes behind making and testing loads.

Ok I guess you would know huh?

Man you people permanently live in Fantasy land. Or just have huge egos one of the two.
Tell your father in law that he writes the suckiest manual going. With the most inconsistent data going.

Quick Reply: Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.