Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06? >

Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TerryM

Unless you handload to get the most out of the .30-06 then there is virtually no difference between the two since the 06 is loaded quite mild to avoid blowing up old military rifles. No game animal will ever know thedifference and I have taken moose with both with no difference at all.
You show me factory loaded data then that gets the ballistics of the 308 within 80fps, (except that crap hornady data).
You show me factory loaded ammo in .30-06 that matches what is claimed in the marketing brochures and I'll admit I'm wrong. The first thing we did when I bought a chrono was test a bunch of rounds and we found 180 gr .3006 loads were "ALL" way lower than advertised and the .308 win much closer. My experience is there is a "real world" difference of @ 60-70 fps between the two. In other words, no game animal will ever show any difference when shot.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of targets here I'll be happy to post them tomorrow. One is about sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yrds using the 180 gr. load going 2740. I also have one that is ~0.6" @ 200 yrds with the same load.
ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

Man, you about dense. You said it outperformed. I mean come on. Who cares about 9 extra grains when reloading.

I tell you what. I have the chronos, I have the rifles. I will put my money up. You show me a 308 that kick out a 180gr bullet at 2800fps with hunting accuracy, thats 1MOA, and we will talk money. You can't do it. I have proved it time and time again, light magnum data is useless, and I have yet to see it live up to its claim. We have an office in denver, and I go out once or twice a year. You bring your money and tell me where.

In fact, I doubt you have loaded the first round.
I was proving you wrong that you said no 180 gr. load could come within 80 fps of the .06. If it can get to 2740 from the factory then I'm sure a superb handloader much like yourself could surely get a measly 60 more FPS out of it! Right?

I guess I don't understand what you mean. You don't think I loaded the first round? I don't reload. That is the Federal load that I shoot.

I havea couple of targets here I'll be happy to post them tomorrow. One is about sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yrds using the 180 gr. load going 2740. I also have one that is ~0.6" @ 200 yrds with the same load.

So far you haven't proved anything except you have a big mouth and you aren't able to come up with any facts to back your opinions. My numbers aren't from the Hornady Light Magnum sorry.

I don't need to spout off or prove anything. Especially notto the likes of you. I use that load in my gun. I have the gun in my hand. I actually shoot the gun. According to you that makes me an expert on the subject. Remember?

But I'm just a dumb kid what the hell would I know over a distinguished gentlesir/engineer/handloader extrodanaire like yourself. Far be it from me to dare question you.
Did you shoot that .308 , 180gr load that you claim clocked 2740 through a chrono or read a brochure? To getr that kind of speed you would have to have at least a 24" barrel and most hunting rifles don't. Look I am a great fan of the .308 but you need to realize that the 2 ( .308,.3006 ) are practically speaking the same when shooting factory ammo. Now, if you load yourself the good old .3006 really shines. Stop reading brochures and buy yourself some loading gear.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Federal Blue Box 150 grain cartridges loaded with the Speer grand Slam adversised 2910 fps and in my 7600, the chronographed right on the money. So there is at least one example.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
bigcountry

Sometimes the factory data is right on the money in some guns. Most of the times they are not. For example, my 460Smith&wesson with 200gr factory ammo is dead on the specs by hornady at 2200fps. But, one I have a very tight bore, and its a Perfromance model, with a 10.5" barrel. Ihave 3 friends with the X frameregular smith model with thegain twist barrel,and all 8" barrels, and none can come 150fps to the claimedHornady velocity. Does that mean hornady's claim is false? No,not exactly.

It has alotto do on how thechamber is setup, howmuch freebore, and how loose the rifling is.And of course barrel length.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 PM

Sometimes the factory data is right on the money in some guns. Most of the times they are not. For example, my 460Smith&wesson with 200gr factory ammo is dead on the specs by hornady at 2200fps. But, one I have a very tight bore, and its a Perfromance model, with a 10.5" barrel. Ihave 3 friends with the X frameregular smith model with thegain twist barrel,and all 8" barrels, and none can come 150fps to the claimedHornady velocity. Does that mean hornady's claim is false? No,not exactly.

It has alotto do on how thechamber is setup, howmuch freebore, and how loose the rifling is.And of course barrel length.
Also, the Hornady load was tested in a 10" barrel. So yeah, Big, your gun met the specs, duh!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you shoot that .308 , 180gr load that you claim clocked 2740 through a chrono or read a brochure? To getr that kind of speed you would have to have at least a 24" barrel and most hunting rifles don't. Look I am a great fan of the .308 but you need to realize that the 2 ( .308,.3006 ) are practically speaking the same when shooting factory ammo. Now, if you load yourself the good old .3006 really shines. Stop reading brochures and buy yourself some loading gear.
What part of "that's the load I shoot" are you having trouble understanding. If my barrel wasn't 20" it would be right on the money.

I don't have to reload to shoot, be a good shooter or talk about my load. I shoot for a living. I don't have patience or time to reload. I'm more interested in performancefactory loads that I can keep on hand,are consisent and widely available. You people are reloading snobs. Reloading doesn't make you more qualified than me to compare cartridges and it certainly doesn't make you a better shooter.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

What part of "that's the load I shoot" are you having trouble understanding. If my barrel wasn't 20" it would be right on the money.

I don't have to reload to shoot, be a good shooter or talk about my load. I shoot for a living. I don't have patience or time to reload. I'm more interested in performancefactory loads that I can keep on hand,are consisent and widely available. You people are reloading snobs. Reloading doesn't make you more qualified than me to compare cartridges and it certainly doesn't make you a better shooter.
By not answering my question which was " did you shoot that load through a chrono or just read a brochure" you just confirm to me that you did not and just parrot marketing brochure claims that are obtained with long pressure barrels in very controlled environments. And I never commented on wether or not you are a good shooter. Your whole demeanor and often incorrect advice and opinions here is getting old. I'm done with this.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Actually, Terry, I have chronographed, a lot of factory loads, and, contrary to popular belief, if you use the same length barrel or longer, as the factory's, you usually get the same numbers or better, that old qualm about factories hyping their ammo up X amount of fps, is nothing more then a wives tale, when you use the same length or longer barrel, then the factory, that is.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 PM

I, believe, that the hoopla about factory ammo, being so off the marl, was started by reloaders, they that they could feel secure, in their belief, that they are out doing the factories.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 PM

I also did the chronograph tests, in a variety of temps, ranging from 10 degrees, to 99 degrees, with very little change in velocity.

Quick Reply: Is the .308 really second class to the .30-06?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.