Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are "Stoger" shotguns any good? >

Are "Stoger" shotguns any good?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are "Stoger" shotguns any good?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Are "Stoger" shotguns any good?

They are supposedly part of the Bennelli line, but are they any good, or just another Mossberg type quality? I'm asking from the context of a part time waterfowler who wants a gun for goose hunting and maybe turkey hunting, probably 50 rounds per year.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: Are "Stoger" shotguns any good?

I could be wrong but Benelli and Stoger are at opposite ends of the shotgunning spectrum. I see no relation between the two.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stoeger is not a manufacturer. They are an importer-trade name. They have imported some high quality firearms, and some low quality firearms. You need to be much more specific. Tom.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: robert4570

I could be wrong but Benelli and Stoger are at opposite ends of the shotgunning spectrum. I see no relation between the two.
I would submit that you are bothright and wrong.

Stoeger is not part of the benelli "line". Benelli liscenses it design of the inertia system to Stoeger and then, in turn, Benelli imports them. This is, of course, refering to the Model 2000 (semi-auto). Design-wise, there is very little (if any) differnce between a Stoeger 2000 and a Benelli Super 90 (or M-1). There is a difference in quality control, fit and finish and of course, price.

As to performance, every 2000 I have shot, including the 3 that good friends of mine own, have performed every bit as good as their Italian counter parts. I was VERY skeptical, especially after seeing some of the sorry excuses Stoeger put out for O/Us and SxS's, but the M2000 is one of the only (if not the only) new, currently produced, "cheap" semi auto I would enthusiastically recommend. The cammo version (depending on where you go) is typically only $50 more, and they all come with 5 choke tubes, which is an extra bonus usually reserved for guns over $1000 (remember, all Browning Citori's only come with three, and they have two barrels to fill at once!).

If you are on a <$500 budget for a semi, its THE ONLY thing worth not saving your money on. Unless of course, you get a used 1100.

One other thing to consider, you can find a heck of a lot of used Benelli Super-90s and M1s (as well as original SBE's if you think you need a 3.5") on the used market for under $650 right now. I saw one in the local shop today, looked almost new, with all five tubes for $599.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

For the money the Stoeger 2000 is a pretty good gun. They are Inertia operated like most Benelli semi auto shotguns. They also use a rotary bolt face which is found on all current Benelli semi auto models. The main difference besides quality is that the Stoeger has a better design for the recoil spring. It's around the magazine tube unlike most other semi auto's. This makes cleaning it much easier and quicker. Unlike the Benelli's, the Stoeger also does not come with shims to adjust the fit of the stock. The 2000 holds five rounds total unlike the Benelli M1/M2 but, like the Montefeltro, Legacy, Cordoba, etc. They are also lighter in weight than most Benelli semi auto's. The exception would be the Ultra Light and similar to the Montefeltro.

The Stoeger 2000 is made in Turkey by Vulsan for Stoeger which is the marketer/brand name. Benelli imports them and shares the service center. The Berreta holdings Corp owns them all including some other great names like Franchi, Sako, and Tikka. Stoeger used to be an importer some years ago.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Stoeger 2000 is the best shotgun I've ever owned. I've taken 4 turkeys with mine and I've shot trap with it and never had a cycling issue after shooting about 4-5 boxes of turkey loads through it.

Tom
Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I like mine! Crows don't[/align][/align]
Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 PM

i got a stoger condor 2 12gauge and wouldnt trade it for any thing in trap shoots ive beat rottweils and other "high end guns"
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am thinking of buying a Stoeger O/U 20 gauge, Dick's Sporting Goods $299.