Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Spartan shotguns, good or not!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Spike

Default Spartan shotguns, good or not!

What is your opinion of these. I am thinking about the over/under in a 20.

Ed
Old 08-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spartan shotguns, good or not!

I don't have one, yet, but I have looked at them. They won't win any beauty contests thats for sure. I compared it to the Kahn/Mossburg, which looks nicer, and I perfered the Spartan due to the way it shouldered. When I put the Kahn/Mossburg up to my shoulder I could see the length of the top of the barrel. On the Spartan, all I could see was the bead at the end of the barrel. Of course, that's how it worked on me, you could be different.

I also like the pivot on the spartan better. It has a full hinge pin that the barrel pivots on where the Kahn/Mossburg has a machined pivot point on each side of the action. To me the Spatan looked like it would lock up tighter and last longer. One drawback is the choke tubes, they are not Remington standard thread so you are stuck with whatever Spartan manufactures, unless someone else has started making them.

All these guns can be picked up for under $600 with the Mossburg version of the Kahn being the highest and the other two being similar in price. I haven't shot either one so I can't comment on that aspect but I am considering getting one, one of these days.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spartan shotguns, good or not!

i have shot the Spartan 20 and I was crushing clays with it....it shouldered very well for me....I have been looking to get the 20 gauge for myself and I love the sporting clays model of the the Spartan but being a poor college student I need all the money I can get...I would say for you to go for it cause I have heard the Mossberg OU to have many problems and I know the spartan has done better