Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil cost me this year; please HELP >

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

ORIGINAL: M77man

I just bought a 7mm Rem Mag last year myself. Having said that, my first box of rounds I've ever tried with that caliber were 140 grain Winchester Accubonds and the kick was so bad that I regretted ever getting it. Then I bought a box of 150 grain Federal Powershok soft points and I hardly felt any kick at all. As a result, my accuracy improved significantly as well. Go figure. I believe it has more to do with type of powder charge then anything else.
I love those Federal Powershoks for shooting at the range! They're not too expensive either. Funny thing is, from what I noticed shooting with my .308, the Powershoks recoil more than the Hornady SST's.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Pretty much everything that can be said has already been said. But I'll chip in anyways. I don't notice much of a difference in the recoil of the 30-06 and the 7mag. My Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag doesn't kick bad at all, and I still have the factory solid rubber pad on there. It doesn't recoil any more than the Rem ADL 7mm Rem Mag I owned before I bought the Ruger.

I agree with the idea of buying a 7mm-08. Although the BAR he bought will do just fine too.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone has mentioned, 1. better recoil pad - this will help 2. scope with more eye relief -will also help. that being said, i would trade it in for a 7mm08. What's my reason? i think once you have a flinch with that gun you may always have it. Its going to be pychological. even if you get it to recoil less it may still be there. I think you need to start fresh.

for example, i have a win m70 30.06. I took it to the range and it recoiled quite a bit for my taste after about 40 rounds. I put a pakmyer recoil pad on the gun and now it feels like a .223 to be honest. But even after that i would find myself flinching a bit.

i purchased a 7mm-08 savage and started to shoot that. Low recoil and i never developed a flinch with this gun. Even thou perceived recoil is less with my 30.06, the 7mm-08 is percieved as less.

you don't need a 7mm mag for deer.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO the 7mm-08 or 270 is right at the extreme upper end of guns for deer hunting. The wife never has any trouble taking her deer with her 250 Savage. No recoil what-so-ever. Make it easy on yourself. Find a gun that you can enjoy 50 shots off the bench with. 250, 260 7mm-08 25-06.