Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil cost me this year; please HELP >

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

ORIGINAL: savage221

Ok, now that the regular season is over here in New York State I have a question for more experienced rifle shooters than myself. Last year I bought a Ruger M77 mark II bolt action in 7mm magnum. It kicks like a government mule (worse than my 10ga BPS) and I’ve been hit in the forehead so many times by the scope that I’m flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger. The flinching cost me two doe this season that were both gimmy shots (70 yards standing still in open cut fields, I just thank god that they were clean misses).

I like the gun a lot; it shoots flat, its light and comes up nice but I can’t keep it if I can’t get over the recoil issue. So, the question is what do I do? Do I toss it and get something chambered in a smaller caliber say 30-06? Do I invest in a better recoil pad? Will moving the scope forward help at all? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Please just don’t get too technical; I do a lot of bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) and know more about shotguns than rifles. Thanks in advance.
Get a scope with eye relief long enough to mount it far eough forward to escape getting hit by it! Then practice until you get t where you can shoot it.

A .30/'06 kicks about the same as the 7 Mag., and BOTH kick a LOTless than that 10-Ga. shotgun you mentioned! Rifle recoil may be sharper and faster, but it is alot less in foot-pounds than a 10 Ga. shotgun!

If you think the 7 Mag, kicks, try a .416 Rigby or even a hot-loaded .45/70 some day!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 AM

I’ve been hit in the forehead so many times by the scope that I’m flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger.
You have a two fold problem here.

First off being "scoped" is a serious matter that could result in permanent injury, and it is nothing to be taken lightly. You have been given some very good advice on this thread concerning eye relief. Three inches minimum is a good rule of thumb.

Second is this business of flinching. I had the same problem after being "scoped" once. I solved it by concentrated practice with dry firing a snap cap (wich is simply a dummy type cartridge) that allowsyou to dryfire your rifle without causing the gun damage. Practice with the snap cap on distant targets followed by live fire practice at the range cured my problem.

There is no reason on earth you could not overcome this problem and learn proficency with a suitable rifle of your choice.

The dry fire practice will also help youestablish arepeatable cheek weld with the proper eye relief from the scope.

early
Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Ok, now that the regular season is over here in New York State I have a question for more experienced rifle shooters than myself. Last year I bought a Ruger M77 mark II bolt action in 7mm magnum. It kicks like a government mule (worse than my 10ga BPS) and I’ve been hit in the forehead so many times by the scope that I’m flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger. The flinching cost me two doe this season that were both gimmy shots (70 yards standing still in open cut fields, I just thank god that they were clean misses).

I like the gun a lot; it shoots flat, its light and comes up nice but I can’t keep it if I can’t get over the recoil issue. So, the question is what do I do? Do I toss it and get something chambered in a smaller caliber say 30-06? Do I invest in a better recoil pad? Will moving the scope forward help at all? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Please just don’t get too technical; I do a lot of bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) and know more about shotguns than rifles. Thanks in advance.
move the scope as far forward to allow you to still allow you full view through it... buy managed recoil shells... i have seen them shot out of win 70 featherlight 30-06s from achild of 75lbs with no problem... they come in 7mm also... this would be your best bet as to buying a new gun... the recoil would be aboutthata 30-30... you would have a bit further range than the 30-30 to boot... try this and i believe you will be very pleased with your recovery from flinch... throw in a limbsaver and you could have the felt recoil of a 222...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM

Update on this issue:
My 7mm mag Ruger M77 will in the hands of a new owner tomorrow and I’ll be using my new 30.06 BAR come the Fall after as much range time as I can fit into my schedule this Spring and Summer. Thanks again to all of folks that posted constructive advice, your tops in my book. Shoot Straight!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM

I have the Remington 750 Woodmaster and I find norecoil.I find more recoil in my Remington 11oo 12gauge.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's keep this simple and then go back to the most basic point of marksmanship.

1. "It kicks like a gov't mule (worse than your 10 ga BPS)"

2. "I've been hit in the forehead so many times"

3. "I'm flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger"

4. "The flinching cost me two doe this season"

and ...................................

5. "I like the gun alot"??????!!!!!!!

Now the most basic of marksmanship. Apples-for-apples, you will shoot the gun you are most comfortable with the best. You are scared of this "beast" - get rid of it. Shouldn't be a problem finding someone willing to trade even up for a thurty aught six as there is no shortage of guys wanting to move to 7mm simply because of the novelty and "bigger is better" mentality. Let someone else scar their forehead up.

And you won't find a deer that will complain you didn't kill it good enough because you only shot it with a .30-06 and not a 7mm.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't read all the responses to this post, and in 11 pages, I am sure that everything has probably been suggested more than once. My only words of "wisdom" are that, from someone that has gotten over "magnumitis", there are too many good light recoiling calibers on the market to get your butt kicked (or forehead busted in your case) by a hard kicking magnum. Deer are not that hard to kill especially at 100 yards and under (if you do your part). I killed 4 of my 6 deer this year with my Marlin 336 30-30. It is an excellent light recoiling round that is often over looked due to the newer "whiz bang" calibers on the market. Other excellent choices are 243, 260, and 7mm08. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 PM

I just bought a 7mm Rem Mag last year myself. Having said that, my first box of rounds I've ever tried with that caliber were 140 grain Winchester Accubonds and the kick was so bad that I regretted ever getting it. Then I bought a box of 150 grain Federal Powershok soft points and I hardly felt any kick at all. As a result, my accuracy improved significantly as well. Go figure. I believe it has more to do with type of powder charge then anything else.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM

I also have a 7 Mag in Browning A-Bolt. I do not really feel this rifle recoils much. Perhaps the Ruger does more? I realized it does not recoil too much since shooting a 300 Win Mag with the factory pad. The Browning also has the BOSS brake but I rarely use it as it is LOUD and throws burnt powder everywhere.

I also handload so the cost of ammo is not really applicable, except the extra powder for 7 Mag and 300 Win Mag loads.

Also feel that the hardest recoiling are the lighter bullets, requiring more powder (velocity). I loaded these 120 grainers (Sierra), and they thumped pretty good. Good on coyotes though!

If you move up in bullet weight (160,175) then the recoil is not as bad as there is usually less of a powder load. Besides, this is where the 7 Mag is at its best (160 gr.)

I would not go with the 30-06 if you like the 7. Just find a rifle that does not put as much felt recoil on you. I don't think that the "aught six" will be much less in recoil anyway.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Spike

I tried to read all of this thread, and to the best of my knowledge nobody has already said what I was thinking the whole time. The original poster said he shoots a lot with his shotguns, but not much with a rifle. I know that I tend to put my head lower and further forward on the stock when lining up the bead on a shotgun. If I tried to do that with a rifle, I'm sure I'd get hit in the forehead too. Any chance that might be the problem? I know you already said you had a trade in the works for another rifle. If it gives you the same problem, you might want to have someone watch where your head is on the stock. Could be a simple fix. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get it figured out!

Quick Reply: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.