Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more. >

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Well lets face it.For about the same money as a new 336 you can buy a savage or winchester package gun at wally world that will give you more energy and more range than a 30/30.That being said I have an old 336 that 3 generations of my family have used to kill their first deer.It is light and quick handling and as accurate at 100yds as many out the box bolt rifles.I still pack it alot when hunting tight spots.

CB

Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM

The 30-30 offers nothing that similar cartridges like the .308 won't won't. The 30-30 is the equivelant of a Studebeger, people just use them because of tradition, and that isn't a bad thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Dislike.

If you live in the east or south where “deer is the game” and the woods offer 30 yard brush busting or tree stand squatting then I would imagine the 30-30 in a lever carbine would be good medicine as deer kill pretty easy..

Living out West where generally the ranges can be longish combined with the fact that I don’t hunt deer anymore (elk yes, deer no) the ole thutty thutty is just a little too pokey and whimpy for my hunting mission..

I’ve got a fair range of weaponry and the 30-30 is one them. It was the first center fire rifle I shot as a kid of about 10, it now sits in the far back corner of the safe and hasn’t been fired in 25 or so years. The 30-30 just doesn’t turn my crank at all. If I was going to specialize in Black Timber elk hunting, then I’d probably go for a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

Whether a cartridge is or isn’t a magnum makes no difference to me, performance is what I am after. The last three additions to the family have been 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and a 50 BMG…. not one of them a magnum. Magnum, not magnum, just words.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM

Dislike.

If you live in the east or south where “deer is the game” and the woods offer 30 yard brush busting or tree stand squatting then I would imagine the 30-30 in a lever carbine would be good medicine as deer kill pretty easy..

Living out West where generally the ranges can be longish combined with the fact that I don’t hunt deer anymore (elk yes, deer no) the ole thutty thutty is just a little too pokey and whimpy for my hunting mission..

I’ve got a fair range of weaponry and the 30-30 is one them. It was the first center fire rifle I shot as a kid of about 10, it now sits in the far back corner of the safe and hasn’t been fired in 25 or so years. The 30-30 just doesn’t turn my crank at all. If I was going to specialize in Black Timber elk hunting, then I’d probably go for a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

Whether a cartridge is or isn’t a magnum makes no difference to me, performance is what I am after. The last three additions to the family have been 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and a 50 BMG…. not one of them a magnum. Magnum, not magnum, just words.
I agree.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: EKM

Dislike.

Do you use those big dawgs to kill deer with? If you do, is there anything left to gut?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Do you use those big dawgs to kill deer with?...."
As mentioned above, I don't harvest deer anymore.

"....If you do, is there anything left to gut?...."
I have used the 416 Rigby and the 458 Lott on elk for grins....
The modest velocities (2400-2500) results in less blood shot meat than say a 270.

For all practical purposes, the 50 BMG is a target rifle not a hunting rifle.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats cool, I appreciate your comments. I know that there are technically better guns out there than a 30-30 to hunt deer with and that on paper some of them ballistically are far superior than a 30-30 cartridge. But the fact remains that a 30-30 is still more than capable of taking medium size game at reasonable distances and when set up in a lever action rifle there is not, imho any other gun more comforatable to carry in the woods. Now I personally have a 44 Magnum levergun that I am carrying in the woods nowdays and I gave my son my 336 30-30 but I am still using a lever action. More for of comfort than for killing power. I was packing a .270 but it is heavy and not real well balanced in the hand and where I hunt I need to be able to pull the gun up fast for a quick shot since it is heavy pine and brush that I hunt in. The lever gun is much better suited for that. Not to mention that the 44 Magnum doesnt kick but about half of what even the 30-30 does. Anyways, I am not down playing anybody's choice in firearm to hunt game with. I am just wanting to see what different peoples opinion is on why or why not they like or dislike the 30-30. So far it seems that most people like it, but it just isnt the best tool for the job for most.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 AM

I love my Marlin 30-30. I have yet to take a deer with it and my wife missed a chance last hunting season with it. Shot breathed on the scope while trying to spot the Deer. It fogged up on her, so I had to take the shot with my Rem. M700 .270
I hunt mainly with the .270 it was my first rifle. My dad a couple years later gave me the 30-30. Said would be a good woods gun for me.
But I mainly hunt fields and power lines where the shots will range from 100-175yards.
Main reason I dont hunt with the 30-30 is confidence. I lack it with it cause I have yet to kill a deer. Shot at one at 125 yards. and watch the bullet hit the dirt in front of the deer. I had it sighted in at 75yards. Bullet dropped to much for me. If I would have had it set to 100 I might would have got the deer. But cause of the miss. I hung it up. But love to take it and shot targets with it.
Last year since the wife wanted to hunt I moved in closer. Put my Stand within 75 yards of the corn pile. We saw the one deer. While she was with me. I usually went to another stand and took down a few. I just dont like being so close to the deer could be why I havent bought a bow yet.
But as far as the 30-30 being a hunting round. Close range anytime. Will use it next year. Found a nice spot in the woods with a 50 yard max shot. Will try to closer up hunting then.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I've ever used a .30/30 for was to shoot targets. I used a Model 94 Winchester, and fired just five rounds of 150-grain Remington factory ammo from a benchrest. Imagine my utter amazement when all five shots were in a 100-yard group of just exactly 1"! This was with the "issue" iron sights. Must have been a fluke.

I've NEVER hunted with a .30/30. But I was impressed by that little lever action's accuracy!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Merlin: Main reason I dont hunt with the 30-30 is confidence... Bullet dropped to much for me... But cause of the miss. I hung it up... I just dont like being so close to the deer could be why I havent bought a bow yet.
Don't buy a bow.
If you won't even bother to learn how to shoot with the arc of a 30/30, then you'll never have near enough patience for a bow.
Arrows are at least twice as heavy, six times slower, and have abunch more drag than those .30-30's.

Don't let the short range of bowhunting fool you either. There can be several inches of drop between 10 and 30 yards with an arrow. Oh, and you'll have to be fairly sneaky to routinely get deer within bow range anyway.

...and please DO bother to learn some basic ballistics before taking any weapon hunting. Lots of things can go wrong out there in the field,so you should always go as prepared and practiced as you can to keep the odds on your side. You don't have to become an expert with every gun and cartridge on the planet, just the gun/bullet combination you will use for hunting.

-Bulz

Quick Reply: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.