HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 AM
TUK101
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

Thats cool, I appreciate your comments. I know that there are technically better guns out there than a 30-30 to hunt deer with and that on paper some of them ballistically are far superior than a 30-30 cartridge. But the fact remains that a 30-30 is still more than capable of taking medium size game at reasonable distances and when set up in a lever action rifle there is not, imho any other gun more comforatable to carry in the woods. Now I personally have a 44 Magnum levergun that I am carrying in the woods nowdays and I gave my son my 336 30-30 but I am still using a lever action. More for of comfort than for killing power. I was packing a .270 but it is heavy and not real well balanced in the hand and where I hunt I need to be able to pull the gun up fast for a quick shot since it is heavy pine and brush that I hunt in. The lever gun is much better suited for that. Not to mention that the 44 Magnum doesnt kick but about half of what even the 30-30 does. Anyways, I am not down playing anybody's choice in firearm to hunt game with. I am just wanting to see what different peoples opinion is on why or why not they like or dislike the 30-30. So far it seems that most people like it, but it just isnt the best tool for the job for most.