Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 Question >

.308 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 Question

Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .308 Question

I just got a Tikka t3 ($479.00) in 308 this past week.If you have $800 bucks burning a hole in your pocket IMO you can't beat that T3for the money. You will still have $300 left over for a scope.I finally got to shoot it between hunts yesterday and it shoots like a dream. I have a 300wsm T3 as well and there is no comparison in kick. Like comparing a .22 to a 12ga. It kicks a good bit less than my rem 700 .270 also. At 100yds it was shooting 1/2"and less groups. I agree with most of the comments above. From what I've seen and read it is suitable for most NA big game as well as varmint size animals.If I was hunting Dangerous game I personally want something with a little more knock down.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Hey diamond ranch,

Excuse me but I have to ask. What did that rifle set you back, built.

It really is speced out nice, but I bet it cost a pretty penny.

God Bless
I made a trade for that rifle. Shoot me a pm if you want the retail price for it. I was not trying to run an add. I just wanted to show what a well built rifle around a .308 action looks like and what it can do.

best of luck

Old 11-26-2006, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

The geat thing about the 308 is that most of them shoot great right from the box. No fancy frills or expensive options needed. My Browning A-Bolt shoots 1/2 inch from the box with Corlokts or almost anything else I have shot in it. This may not be a typical from the box rifle buts its close to a typical 308. Its never shot anything at more than one inch MOA. Thats not Bench rest accuaracy but its darn sure hunting rifle accuracy. I have never even tried working on a accuracy load for this one. Just shoot it and enjoy it. The only trouble is, its an A-Bolt synthetic light weight Stalker and it delivers plenty of punch ON BOTH ends.[:@]

This one has had the trigger done by a friend who does wonders with Browning triggers and he has it set at about one lb. Its really lighter than I wanted in a cold climate like ND. With any kind of gloves, I never feel the trigger until it goes bang. This is the best shooting rifle that I currently own. It will shoot 1/2 inch or better 3 shot groups every time out. I can bank on that.
Yes you are correct about no fancy things needed. Keep in mind, I compete with it and use if for a "ranch rifle." If you take an out of the box rifle to a match and shoot 60 rounds out of it in a hour and a half or so, your barrel harmonics are going to be messed up and your accuracy will decrease with each shot.

Without at least a 3/4 inch barrel, with bedding, you won't be able to do long distance competition.

Since that is not the predominant question here, James is right....an out of the box .308 (remington is my preference) is a great all around hunting rifle.

best of luck

Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitefox
I dont know a whole lot about this caliber and was curious as to what kind of game is normally harvested withit and what is the largest game animal that can be harvested with it.
Thanks
im glad to see so many good things said about this cartridge
say's alot about the people here

my experinece with it usualy took place on opening morning of elk season
i would hear the crack of my Granfather's model 70 featherweight
call my Dad on the two way and spend the day packing out his elk

early
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 PM

The .308 is the one of the best cartridges ever, look at the sales charts and you'll usually see it in the top 5. In ammo and rifles sold both.