Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 Question >

.308 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 Question

Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Default RE: .308 Question

The .308 is used as a varmit round because of its inherent accuracy. It has been usedby the military, and is still used by police snipers. It has been, and is still used by shillouette shooters because it is accurate. As a short action caliber, with tolerable recoil, the .308 is a great round. With the right loading, the .308 can retain over 1200 ft-lbs. of energy at 500 yards, with about 50 inches of drop at 500 yards and a 200 yard zero. The only thing to remember, when considering what game can be hunted with this caliber, is that the bigger the game, or more dangerous the game, The distance of the shot should lessen. You need to shorten the shot distance , for the benefits of accuracy and retained energy. You would want to hit hard and make sure you hit where you are aiming.

The .308 has spured off some other rounds based on its case , such as, .243, .260, and 7mm-08. All of these are great rounds when considered
for their intended use, versestheir limitations. One of the greatest things about the .308 round is the wide range of bullet weights available for it, and the number of manufacturers that load it. You can find virtually any loading you want , within reason, suitable for the game you plan to hunt. I love short action calibers, and currently own a .243, a 7mm-08, and a .308. The only thing I want , to finish out my short guns is a short action short magnum. Then it's time to find newguns to want to buy...LOL.

I hope this information finally answered your questions , and I was able to help you get to know this great round.

God Bless
Old 11-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite , all-time cartridge! There are many other great cartridges around, but nothing bad could be said of the .308 Winchester!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Nitefox

I dont know a whole lot about this caliber and was curious as to what kind of game is normally harvested withit and what is the largest game animal that can be harvested with it.

Thanks

For me, the .308 is by far the best "all around" caliber. To each his own I suppose. The following specs are for the rifle pictured. I "spec'd" it out like this because I compete in matches as well as use it for hunting. It is lightweight, easy to carry, and still a tackdriver. Contrary to popular belief I promise you that this rifle will compete at 1000 yards right along with the magnums.

As far as game goes, the largest I have harvested so far is an elk. Taken many hogs and aoudad sheep also.

Also, as of 1989 when I was in Quantico Va., the Marine Corps M-40 chambered the .308 for all of their sniper platoons as the primary caliber.

I had this rifle custom built around an old rem 700 action by long-shot-rifles...link is in my sig line if you want more info aboutthe .308.

Rem model 700 (.308)action... Trued up/squared [/align]Badger ordinance cams and bolt stop[/align]Badger ordinance bolt release[/align]Badger ordinance bases/rings for scope[/align]Enlarged Badger ordinance bolt handle (easier cycling)[/align]Jewel trigger assembly 1/4 lb. [/align]Leupold Mark IV variable 4.5X14 [/align]Bubble level mounted on top of scope[/align]McMillan tactical fiberglass stock [/align]Accuracy International "box fed" magazine w/ "ergonomic" quick release[/align]Broughton match barrel....bedded/free floating...22 inches for getting it into "quick action" out of a pickup!![/align]Recessed crown/muzzle[/align]Harris bi-pod[/align]Teflon coating[/align][/align]best of luck[/align][/align][/align]

Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 AM

The .308 is a very good deer round, and I know a guy that has taken moose with it as well. For a varmint round it may be alot of recoil to shoot all day but it sure wouild kill them. If I had to limit myself to one cartridge, it might be the .308.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Again, it's my personal favorite! While everyone has a "favorite," they'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the .308 Winchester!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I love my 308 Sako, been using it for over 20 years now. There is a kick to it though and like somebody said, you might not wanna be shooting it all day at varmits. BTW, I have also used it for turkey hunting although I havent gotten one with it yet.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are 4 caribou taken with .308 last week, they were shot on a frozen lake, they all dropped 1st shot.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:28 PM

Hey diamond ranch,

Excuse me but I have to ask. What did that rifle set you back, built.

It really is speced out nice, but I bet it cost a pretty penny.

God Bless

Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

The geat thing about the 308 is that most of them shoot great right from the box. No fancy frills or expensive options needed. My Browning A-Bolt shoots 1/2 inch from the box with Corlokts or almost anything else I have shot in it. This may not be a typical from the box rifle buts its close to a typical 308. Its never shot anything at more than one inch MOA. Thats not Bench rest accuaracy but its darn sure hunting rifle accuracy. I have never even tried working on a accuracy load for this one. Just shoot it and enjoy it. The only trouble is, its an A-Bolt synthetic light weight Stalker and it delivers plenty of punch ON BOTH ends.[:@]

This one has had the trigger done by a friend who does wonders with Browning triggers and he has it set at about one lb. Its really lighter than I wanted in a cold climate like ND. With any kind of gloves, I never feel the trigger until it goes bang. This is the best shooting rifle that I currently own. It will shoot 1/2 inch or better 3 shot groups every time out. I can bank on that.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

The .308 Winchester isa great round for deer, black bear, caribou (as seen above) and hogs. It packs plenty of punchfor taking game cleanly out to 300 yards or so. When itcomes to larger game like elk, moose and the bigger bears,there are muchbetter choices in caliber IMO. Recoil wise, it's mild compared to a .300 Winchester mag or a .300WSM.

Quick Reply: .308 Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.