Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 "expiration date" for shotgun slugs? >

"expiration date" for shotgun slugs?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

"expiration date" for shotgun slugs?

Old 11-24-2006, 07:21 AM

Default "expiration date" for shotgun slugs?

While cleaning my gun cabinet I found a box of Lightfield Hybrid 2 3/4" sabot slugs - probably several years old I'd guess. The box itself looks different than the newones that are sold, different picture and lettering on it. I opened the box and the slugs themselves look ok - maybe a slight bit of discoloration at the top where the slug itself is visible (the actual slug is more white-grey in color when compared to my brand new slugs that are dark grey). Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had comments/experience with shooting old slugs out of your guns and if it made any difference at all in accuracy, etc.... Is there any reason for shotgun slugs to "go bad" or "expire"?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "expiration date" for shotgun slugs?

ORIGINAL: backridge11

While cleaning my gun cabinet I found a box of Lightfield Hybrid 2 3/4" sabot slugs - probably several years old I'd guess. The box itself looks different than the newones that are sold, different picture and lettering on it. I opened the box and the slugs themselves look ok - maybe a slight bit of discoloration at the top where the slug itself is visible (the actual slug is more white-grey in color when compared to my brand new slugs that are dark grey). Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had comments/experience with shooting old slugs out of your guns and if it made any difference at all in accuracy, etc.... Is there any reason for shotgun slugs to "go bad" or "expire"?
NO! I shot two deer in the last five years with Remington standard 1-oz Foster-type slugs that I bought in 1973....... They still shoot the same as ever!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

As El said, they should be as good as ever!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Spike

I have only known them to expire when you drop the hammer
Old 11-24-2006, 01:15 PM

thanks ! good to know and appreciate the info...
Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I make my living in the sales industry, selling guns, ammo and the related stuff. Our shop does well, times are good.

I would love to find the wonderful ammo company sales rep who started the rumor that ammunition has a shelf life such as milk, cheese and AA batteries.

We honestly have people come by the shop with coffee cans full of 12 ga shells, that have never seen the light of day. Apparently, they think we are an ammo dump...well...if they are still good, we will take them, and shoot them ourselves! No matter how much we try and tell people that these shells are still very functional, they just refuse to believe us! Well...better we shoot them then they thrown them in the trash.

Shells only go "bad" when the brass rusts real bad, or if you get them wet. Most modern shells are waterproof.

As said, those slugs of yours are good to go.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i found some old shotgun shells that my great grandfather use to have. they are still in the original Winchester Super X box. the shells themselves are made out of paper. they look brand new due to being free of moisture but i wouldn't shoot them. they are keep sakes that i put away. i'm not saying they would be bad to shoot, i'd just rather hand them down to my son when he's older and would hope he'll do the same.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i found some old shotgun shells that my great grandfather use to have. they are still in the original Winchester Super X box. the shells themselves are made out of paper. they look brand new due to being free of moisture but i wouldn't shoot them. they are keep sakes that i put away. i'm not saying they would be bad to shoot, i'd just rather hand them down to my son when he's older and would hope he'll do the same.
Yeah! For crap sake, don't shoot up your keepsakes......