Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's wrong with my gun????

Old 11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's wrong with my gun????

I have a Remington model 7400 semi auto 30-06 that I bought in the late 80's and probably shot about 100 times total.

It has jammed on me quite a few times. It won't discard the empty shell casing, much less load a new bullet. When it happened a few years ago, I cleaned the heck out of it with somehigh strength spray oncleaner(didn't take it apart) and worked the loading mechanismback and forth over and over, but it happened to me again this week. Also, I lost my magazine. It seems that sometimes the magazine doesn't seat right and just pops out. I don't know if this is related to the problem or not.

Anyway, I plan to take it to a gunsmith, but wonder if it is just a case of taking it apart and cleaning it, or something more serious. I can't afford to have it jam on me while hunting!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's wrong with my gun????

you lost your magazine....but then you said it doesnt seat properly...did you buy a new one or what? if the mag isnt seating properly thats your problem..could be the magazine..i do alot of shooting with ar-15s,ak-47s etc etc...some guns just wont function with some magazines. some i can see wearing on the paint/finish/metal that shows whats hitting and causing malfunctions and ill file that down..also..id definently break the gun down and clean it. may be a pia to do...but from my expiriences the sprays and such work..but to a certain extent. they move the dirt and grim around but alot will get trapped in there some place or another. taking it to a smith isnt a bad idea...if the smith is knowledgeable he will beable to figure it out pretty easily...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, first off, it's a Remington Just joking. I've heard lots of real life reports (from my dad and his friends) and internet reports (who knows how accurate those actually are) that those jam a lot. My dad took a borrowed one into the gunsmiths, the gumsmith did something, then told him he'd probably have to bring it in again before the seasons over [&:]You know how most rifles, you get good ones, and then there's lemons? It seems like with 7400's, most are lemons, and only a few lucky people will get good ones [8D]My advice would be take it to the gunsmith, and see what he has to say.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is the magazine that came with the gun. It wouldn't click into placeproperly at times (would come out if you pulled it a little), but I was always able to get it clicked in good before going out to where I couldn't just pull it out. Anyway, this time I pulled my gun up to my treestand, only to find the magazine was gone. Must have fallen out en route to the stand.

I will see what the gunsmith has to say. Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a remington. Somewhat serious.

With that out of the way, I had the exact same problem with a 7400 in .308. I took it to a smith and he returned it to me saying it was fixed. It failed again. Took it back to him and he said there was nothing more he could do. Suggested a new magazine. So I wasted another $35 on a new mag. Still jammed. So I completely disassembled the gun. Found some problems fixed those and and it still failed.

Don't waste your time and money on that gun. If you can't tell I'm still bitter.

Tom
Old 11-23-2006, 06:16 PM

No experience with the 7400 but my first firearm was a Remington 552 speedmaster .22. I was getting one for Christmas, pored over all the catalogs, decided on a Marlin bolt with a tubular magazine, went to the store and it was out of stock. The guy sold us the Remington.

That gun jammed on a VERY regular basis from day one. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken it back immediately. I kept it, put up with it, did a bit of home gunsmithing in my later years, and finally took it to a 'smith. It came back and hasn't jammed since, years of good service.

I can't say I'd buy another Remington semi-auto rifle. Love their shotguns, just not the semi-auto rifles.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of the cycling problems with that rifle are associated with the clip. Buy a new clip and try it before you do anything. Also buy a can of electrical connector cleaner, in the aerosol can. Also buy a can of pressurized air. Spray the receiver down, do not be stingy with the cleaner, then take the can of air and blow out all the cleaner off the receiver. The cleaner will not leave a film, and what you do not blow out will dry out, without leaving a film. Tom.