Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 does the military need a new service rifle >

does the military need a new service rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

does the military need a new service rifle

Old 11-23-2006, 01:42 AM

Default RE: does the military need a new service rifle

The M16 is a fine weapon. Could it be better? What man made object could'nt?
Most combat is within 100 yards anyways. So if you are that close to the enemy would'nt you rather have a whole lot of ammo. I have heard we fired 500000 rounds per kill in vietnam.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The M14 is a nice gun for shooting long distances but that's about all. Having it as the standard battle rifle for the shortest period of time of any American battle rifle should say something about it. BTW, the Stoner/M-16 platform has been in use for about 30 years already, that should say something as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 PM

The real question should be, does the service rifle need a new military?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well from my military experince ( mylast year as a drill ) this is the first time most of those soldiers handled a rifle. They are all going to have different abilities of shooting. They are not all going to be firing a rifle as there main weapon. It is there that the military uses this rifle as a platform to put all sodiers on. All equal so to speak. And I know we said battle rifle but this rifle in the hands of a skilled rifleman can be firied with some precision. But the over whelming majority are support and they are not trained to be a skilled riflemen. So now this offers them some protection with the ability to fire a sustained fire fight with yes the spray and pray quote. You would be a fool to believe that the infantryman or any of the special forces cant fire that weapon with some sort of skill.Not all combat is about killing it is about casualties or wounded men , not to say some missions carry a high or higher objective.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

Well from my military experince ( mylast year as a drill ) this is the first time most of those soldiers handled a rifle. They are all going to have different abilities of shooting. They are not all going to be firing a rifle as there main weapon. It is there that the military uses this rifle as a platform to put all sodiers on. All equal so to speak. And I know we said battle rifle but this rifle in the hands of a skilled rifleman can be firied with some precision. But the over whelming majority are support and they are not trained to be a skilled riflemen. So now this offers them some protection with the ability to fire a sustained fire fight with yes the spray and pray quote. You would be a fool to believe that the infantryman or any of the special forces cant fire that weapon with some sort of skill.Not all combat is about killing it is about casualties or wounded men , not to say some missions carry a high or higher objective.
Yep! the idea is that everyone is atleast a basic rifleman. well explained Dan I just hope everyone else atleast try to understand this as we do.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

HDW did you come to MO for deer season? I got a decent 10 pionter. 155 in. If not when are you so we can met and maybe do some shooting!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Spike

If the military did consider the 6mm bullet the way to go I suspect the 243 Winchester would likely loose out to another case configuration. Personally I am a little bias towards the 6mm Remington. Suppose the longer 6mm Rem. cartridge may be an issue in the action length required and may create issues with carrying capacity of ammo.

The carrying capacity of ammo seems to be a very good argument for sticking with the 223 Remington. Another valid argument for sticking with the 223 Remington might be that our goal is to incapacitate the enemy not necessarily to kill them. A wounded solder may account for 3 solders effectively incapacitated. As one could make the argument that 2 additional men may be required to care for the wounded.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:17 PM

Thecurrent M16 isa fineservice rifle. What the military needs is a proper Squad Automatic Weapon in 7.62 caliber that can penetrate concrete blocks, etc. The current SAW in 5.56 caliber just does not have enough oooomph. The M60A4 would be great in the SAW role. It is lightweight with a quick change barrel.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

HEAD I graduated in 1988 and we done this all the time even then....Im sure we'd be put underthe jail now.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Spike

I think the 5.56 does a fine job of putting them down when you put it where it counts. In the head.