Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1911 in military service >

M1911 in military service

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1911 in military service

Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Default M1911 in military service

I dnno bout you guys, but I CANNOT see even one reason why we took the M1911 out of service and now we're usin some whimpy 9mm round, whats up with that? The .45 had served us great for 80 years! why take it away? It only takes one peice of led from a .45 to stop a guy in his tracks, you cant do that with a 9mm. Can someone please fill me in why we took it out of service?

-Travis-
Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M1911 in military service

I knew once, but promptly forgot (so sorry!) back when I was with an active unit. I shook my head in disbelief. Since then we have figured out that the Beretta does not handle sand real well. Perhaps a change will be forthcoming. I understand that the USMC has done some re-issuing of the old 45's, but I don't know how widespread. Overall, I think the bigger mistake was the M16 but that rifle must have just the right amount of political suction as it just keeps getting modified.

Dumb logistics cost lives.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm staying out of this one. I feel a debate coming on,haha.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM

does size really mater when you catch two to the chest and one to the head? you can carry 15 rounds in a 9mm as oppose to 7rounds in a 45 of the same weight and 9mm is everywhere. not to mention less barrel raise for faster follow up shots.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 AM

I'm active duty Army. I'd much rather carry a 1911 than an M9. However the reason the Army switched contracts in the 80's was for many reasons, good or bad: Conform to NATO ammunition, a more reliable handgun, a more simple handgun that any idiot can operate safely (close, but still not quite there on that one), magazine capacity, accuarcy, lighter weight of both handgun and ammunition, and a few other things I can't remember.

I remember 3 handguns in the contract competion: 1911, Browning Hi Power, and the M9. If Glock had been up to snuff at the time, they would probably have won the contract.

Most solders that carry an M9 never have use for it or any other weapon because of their specific MOS or job. The one's that do haveneed are usually Spec Op's types and they tend to use other, more specialized handguns
Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 AM

And the M16 /M4? How can you argue that one? It's a fine weapon system that is still in it's own prime. Reliable, accurate, extremely versatile, lightweight, easy to maintain, easy to use, cost effective.
Yeah, the M14/M1A is great but the M4 is much more practical.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

The only reason the 1911 was dropped was because of NATO and powers that be wanted a easy answer for ammunition logistics with other nations involved.
That being said just look what the special forces went back to when they pretty much have thier choice of any handgun. A 1911 style in a 45acp. It speaks volumes for the design and the round. Remember large capacity mags have been around for a long time , Browning High Power.
When I started to think about my carry sidearm years back one of my mentors would always remind me ," do you plan on missing alot?" Truer words were never spoken.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM

I have to agree that 9mm is world wide where the .45 is not nearly as common outside of the US. I was in during a time when the M-9 was new and everyone complained about it then. I own both and will say in my opinion the 1911 and .45 combo is a more accurate and more effective man stopper. That said the military in general has bought into the more rounds down range, the more hits theory and not that the 1911 is particularly difficult to take apart butthe M-9 is about as idiot proof as you can get. I would love to see the 1911 make a comback in the military world like it has in the civilian market. That single action trigger system is much crisper with almost no travel promoting accuracy.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

What what I understand about it (being retired military). It's origins go back to Jimmy Carter, who first put the bug in the ear of the pentagon and top military brass. But we still kept using the famed M1911-A1 duringthe time Carter & Reagan werePresidents.

There were talks/demands of complying with NATO regulations and going to the 9mm, while we were expanding bases and acquiring new bases in Italy (home to Beretta). So that's how we came to use the Beretta M9 (Beretta 92) 9mm. Thisfinally come about when George Bush (Sr.)was President.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:45 PM

In the early 1980’s the Military began looking for a new sidearm to replace the inventory of over 25 different pistols and revolvers then in service with the military. Chief among the inventory of pistols to be replaced was the 1911 handgun that had been in service for 70 years. According to a Comptroller General’s report dated 3-8-82, the military had 417,448 .45 caliber pistols in inventory. The plan began to run into opposition when it was announced that the new sidearm would be chambered in the NATO standard 9mm cartridge. Many saw the move to a smaller caliber as a step in the wrong direction. Still others questioned the need for the adoption of a new pistol at all. The testing was considered questionable at best by most but we all know what happened, the M-9 was born.

Quick Reply: M1911 in military service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.