Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 another marlin question >

another marlin question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

another marlin question

Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Default another marlin question

this is more for a friend than for i but still i am curious. he is looking for a good moderate priced 22 semi auto. I own both the 10/22 and the 597 and i dont have a problem with either of mine but as of late ive noticed like most other things the quality of the 10/22 has dropped dramaticly. And like i say i dont have aproblem with either mine or my fathers 597's but they arent exactly know to be a great gun. so i did a little research and came across the Marlin 795. it basic and cheap indeed but never handling one or even seeing one i was wondering the publics view on them. or any other good semi auto clip fed 22.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another marlin question

Remington has the highest quality rimfires in my opinion. Unless that is you want to step up to a Kimber or somethign similar.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brutal-Have you checked out the CZ 452 Americans. I just bought one. I have not shot it yet , but I ordered it the other day in a left hand action. They make it in a right hand with a set trigger. I handled one, and it is nice.

If your friend wants a semi, have him check out the TC. It is a nice rifle for the money.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin makes more .22's than anybody else. I've had several Marlin's and never had a problem with any of them. I've never shoot a 795 but for an inexpensive .22 Marlin is hard to beat. My next one will be a Marlin 39A lever action.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM

I have a Marlin Model 60 .22 LR. It's semi-auto and can hold up to 15 rounds. One of my favorite guns that I have ever shot.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:57 PM

Savage and Marlin semi autos are cheap reliable and rediculously accurate. I have not noticed th drop in 10 22 quality, but sounds like the kind of crap we gun people say all the time. Doesn't mean it's true.
The marlin model 60 is a fine and cheap gun that will last you for a lifetime. it looks a tad more elegant than the 1022 or the 597. Plus it is a pretty old design. I believe there are more marlin 22's out there than any other maker. But you will be ok with any ofthe ones we mentioned
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 AM

My personal opinion is if you gave me a remington rimfire I would probably take it, but it would end up getting sold or traded for something else.

If you want to hop it up you just can't beat the 10/22, however out of the box for the price I'm not overly impressed with them. The marlin model 60 is one of the best semi's on the market for the money. The levers are outstanding and will most likely function longer than the owner, of course they cost twice as much as well.

If you are thinking of a lever take a look at the base line Henry. I had one it had a very smooth action and was VERY accurate. Not the best trigger though and I didn't care for the plastic barrel ring in the front. Then again it was under 200 bucks.

Another gun I would take a serious look at is the savage bolt guns with the accutriggers. I owned a not accutrigger version and it was a fine rifle, I own the same gun in a 17HMR as well and am very happy with it. I can only imagine the accutrigger is even better yet.

Paul
Old 11-12-2006, 04:56 AM

Mod 60 Marlin, your friend will still be your friend after buying it. Top it with a full size scope and the squirrels will have to go hide. One thing I love about mine is it isn't ammo sensitive, will shoot the bargain stuff great.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 AM

Thanks to all buy my real question still goes unanswered. i agree that with all the aftermarket stuff the 10/22 is hard to beat. but he is thinking more of out of the box. I also agree that the marlin 60 would be hard to beat, but when he was telling me what he wants or doesnt he made it overly clear. NO TUBE FED. and he was looking more for a semi. hes got a remingon 33 that was his dads and shoots it quite a little but he wants a semi with a scope. Has anyone had any experiences with the 795 by marlin?