" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quit talking about the 7mm-08 >

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

1928ftlbs-1833ftlbs is still only 95ftlbs again a long way from 300ft lbs.And a person is free to use whatever ammunition brand that they choose.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't make a cartridge have more energy
Are you really that ignorant ballistics wise to believe that.If you really knew anything about ballistics ,you would know that those velocities and energies are posted for a given barrel length.Now what do you suppose would happen if I took that box of ammunition rated at 3000fps in a 24" barrel and fired it in a 28" barrel.If you really had a clue you would know that with all else being equal,the velocity would be higher.Given that energy is based on velocity,so would the energy.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

1928ftlbs-1833ftlbs is still only 95ftlbs again a long way from 300ft lbs.And a person is free to use whatever ammunition brand that they choose.
I agree. They are very close. However, if you recall my post I said "the potential for 300 ft/lbs" more energy. I can argue semantics too.

Just out of curiousity I looked at Remington and they offer 15 models in .308 and 6 models in 7mm-08.

So by your logic we should go with what the sales say because if people buy it more then obviously it performs much better right? That is basically what you were saying.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

You can't make a cartridge have more energy
Are you really that ignorant ballistics wise to believe that.If you really knew anything about ballistics ,you would know that those velocities and energies are posted for a given barrel length.Now what do you suppose would happen if I took that box of ammunition rated at 3000fps in a 24" barrel and fired it in a 28" barrel.If you really had a clue you would know that with all else being equal,the velocity would be higher.Given that energy is based on velocity,so would the energy.
Simmer down pardner.

You're not listening. What I'm saying is: If a 110 lb woman feels that a .308 kicks a little too hard then there are things as a shooter she can do to reduce her felt recoil. Butt pad, shoulder pad etc etc.

However, she can't force a 7mm-08 to magically produce more energy.

So what I'm saying is you should take the extra performance edge that the .308 offers and if the .308 kicks a little more than the 7mm-08 there are things you can do to make it kick like a 7mm-08.

I don't know why your getting all worked up about barrel length. When did that enter the discussion?

An intelligent person would have to assume that barrel length is equal when comparing these numbers otherwise it wouldn't really be a comparison. You can check it if it makes you feel better.My catalogs say thesenumbers are out of a 24" barrel.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

However, she can't force a 7mm-08 to magically produce more energy.
Not magically,but by simply installing a longer barrel on the rifle,she can have it produce more energy with the same cartridge.

I don't know why your getting all worked up about barrel length. When did that enter the discussion?
I introduced barrel length after you made the totally idiotic statement below.

You can't make a cartridge have more energy.
But apparently you still don't comprehend how that is possible,even though I explained it to you.

In fact you are probably naive enough to believe thatall 308rifles actually produce the velocities listed on the federal and Hornady werb sites.Even ifthe barrel is the same length as listed in the tables,the velocities produced byfactory rifles are usually less than those listed in the tables.The reason for this is that most test barrels used to test loads,have chambers cut to minimum specifications which results in higher chamber pressures and more velocity than is produced in factory barrels.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t care what anybody said, my 7mm-08 and I are going hunting in 3 weeks...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

308 doesn't recoil at all.
While the recoil of a 308 is by no means bad it is definately more than 7mm-08.

if the .308 kicks a little more than the 7mm-08 there are things you can do to make it kick like a 7mm-08.
Yeah but those same things that will make a 308 kick like a 7mm-08 will make a 7mm-08 kick like a 243. Hands down a woman or child is better off with a 7mm-08.

And while thereare more types of 308 ammo out there there is by no means a limited selection of 7mm-08. 14 different options at the one website where I checked in fact. If one of those 14 don't fit your needs then it's time to start reloading.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 PM

IMO, shoot what you have be it 308 or 7mm-08. ANYONE who shoots the short action 308 should NOT be bragging about a huge energy deposit. Really you have to shoot H.E. loads to get that performance in the 1st place Big whoop, 2000ftlb @ 300. Why stop there? The 30-06 can get around 2300ft lb at that distance compared to 2000 from the 308 at my elevation. Wow, another 300 ft/lbs. Why stop there? The 300 win gets nearly 2600ft lb at 300yds. Why stop there? The 300RUM gets over 2900ft lb @ 300yds. I'm just getting started. The 338 RUM steps up to over 3300 ft/lbs at 300yds. The point is, we can keep on going on with ballistics and slight improvements. But you know what? Why get beaten up too much for the job? Maybe you like the lighter recoiling 7mm-08, which to some shooters the difference is great. Get over it! These cartridges are so similar its useless to argue over, it's what the shooter needs; the 7mm-08 shooter might prefer the trajectory, wind drift, recoil etc. and maybe the 308 shooter prefers the cheap and great variety of ammo, and doesn't care about kick.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hehehehe.. I'm not about to get involved in a p*****g contest about one cartridge being "better" than another similar cartridge but I'll add my two cents..

The 7mm-08 is very close ballistically to the 7 x 57 , which has been killing all kinds of critters efficiently for over 100 years... It uses the same bullet, and if you shoot anything from a woodchuck to an elk with it in a vital area, said critter will expire very quickly, usually in a matter of seconds...

I like the 7mm-08 because it has mild recoil, NOTICEABLY milder than most .308s, 30-06s, .280s or even .270s that I've shot and it does the job very efficiently..

I've had good luck on deer with the 140 Nosler ballistic tip at around 2800 FPS...This year I'm trying the 120 Barnes TSX loaded to about 3000 FPS..It shoots very accurately in my rifle and some posters on another forum have been singing its praises as an excellent game bullet..
Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 PM

I just came back in from the shop. Interesting exchange here in the past six hours. Brutal Attack . . . . where did you come up with such a handle? Let me constructively suggest you change that name to "A Little Thin on Experience". There are a bunch of folks on this board with a lot of depth of experience. Folks like Stubblejumper, Big Country, James B, Drilling Man, Rebel Hog . . . many more. You can't jump in here and start making statements like "the 7mm-08 is an ineffective elk round" or "experience doesn't account for much"without taking shots across the bow. Ask constructive questions . . . try to learn from the many who are more than willing to share their knowledge - which was derived from personal experience. . . . . Things will go better.

Quick Reply: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.