" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quit talking about the 7mm-08 >

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Old 10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Personaly I dont need a .30 caliber for deer hunting. I like the idea of a pretty hard hitting, flat shooting, mild recoiling gun. thats why I am thinking of the 7-08. 7 mag is better, 300 mag is even better, 338 is even better, when does it stop ? For me it would be somewhere aroun the 7-08 the .270 or .280, but I wana gun kids and women can shoot. I think the 708 is purrrrrrrrrrrfect. annnnnnd its the .243's bigger brudder Theres something about that .308 case, everything spawned from it has been awsome.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can get as good or better performance with a heavier bullet, plus have more bullet choices, and cheaper ammo why wouldn't you?
Iuse a bullet heavy enough to do the job.Using a bullet of better construction is a better alternative to a heavier bullet.You get the same or more penetration,flatter trajectory,and less recoil.Since I reload,I have the maximum amount of suitable bullet choices and at the lowest possible price for the load.

Now you post

More offerings does make the .308 better if even one of those offerings outperform the 7mm-08...which they do.
What happened to

Having dozens of bullet choices in a .308 more than makes up for any small performance gain from a 7mm-08. The majority of the other .308 loads out perform the 7mm-08.
First it is the performance of the majority of loads that matters,then it isonly the performance of thebest load that is important.You keep changing your priority to try tomake the 308win look superior.
the 165 grain SST .308 has more energy and there is less than 1" difference in trajectory. I've only been comparing out to 300 yards as that is about the max effective distance for those rounds on elk sized game IMO. Also I don't know that the average hunter shoots beyond 300 yards. I personally don't think so.
The original topic was not the 7mm-08 vs the 308win as an elk load.You tried to make it that to try and make the 308win appear superior.

However it is very entertaining to watch you attempt to keep changing the rules in order to try and make your case.You sound like a saleman trying to twist data to make a sale.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Personaly I dont need a .30 caliber for deer hunting. I like the idea of a pretty hard hitting, flat shooting, mild recoiling gun. thats why I am thinking of the 7-08. 7 mag is better, 300 mag is even better, 338 is even better, when does it stop ? For me it would be somewhere aroun the 7-08 the .270 or .280, but I wana gun kids and women can shoot. I think the 708 is purrrrrrrrrrrfect. annnnnnd its the .243's bigger brudder Theres something about that .308 case, everything spawned from it has been awsome.
.308 doesn't recoil at all.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

If you can get as good or better performance with a heavier bullet, plus have more bullet choices, and cheaper ammo why wouldn't you?
Iuse a bullet heavy enough to do the job.Using a bullet of better construction is a better alternative to a heavier bullet.You get the same or more penetration,flatter trajectory,and less recoil.Since I reload,I have the maximum amount of suitable bullet choices and at the lowest possible price for the load.

Now you post

More offerings does make the .308 better if even one of those offerings outperform the 7mm-08...which they do.
What happened to

Having dozens of bullet choices in a .308 more than makes up for any small performance gain from a 7mm-08. The majority of the other .308 loads out perform the 7mm-08.
First it is the performance of the majority of loads that matters,then it isonly the performance of thebest load that is important.You keep changing your priority to try tomake the 308win look superior.
the 165 grain SST .308 has more energy and there is less than 1" difference in trajectory. I've only been comparing out to 300 yards as that is about the max effective distance for those rounds on elk sized game IMO. Also I don't know that the average hunter shoots beyond 300 yards. I personally don't think so.
The original topic was not the 7mm-08 vs the 308win as an elk load.You tried to make it that to try and make the 308win appear superior.

However it is very entertaining to watch you attempt to keep changing the rules in order to try and make your case.You sound like a saleman trying to twist data to make a sale.
Any premium bullet you want in almost any grain is available for the .308. .308 has more retained energy within 300 yards. It shoots just as flat. It recoils the same or less.

This makes it better suited as an elk cartridge.

Anything else is arguing semantics.

Personal attacks against me won't help you.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It shoots just as flat. It recoils the same or less
Total B.S. we have already proven that the 7mm-08 shoots flatter.

.308 doesn't recoil at all.
So now the 308win is defying the laws of physics?Only in your fantasy world.

A quick calculation will prove that the 308 does in fact produce more recoil in the same weight gun.Just not in your fantasy world.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shoots just as flat. It recoils the same or less
Total B.S. we have already proven that the 7mm-08 shoots flatter.A quick calculation will also prove thatthe 308 does produce more recoil with the same weight rifle.But feel free to continue living in your fantasy world.
"Flatter" as in 1 inch possibly 2 at 300 yards. I'd gladly trade that for the ability to have 300 more ft/lbs of energy.

Go ahead and post your caculations.

If it does kick less than at least it can do one thing better but I'm sure it's not that big of a difference. Felt recoil is extrememly objective anyway and can be alleviated by theshooter.Whereas a shootercan't make a given load perform better.

I can stay in my scope with the heaviest .308 load and I'm a sissie when it comes to recoil so that is plenty good enough for me and probalby anyone else women included.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Flatter" as in 1 inch possibly 2 at 300 yards. I'd gladly trade that for the ability to have 300 more ft/lbs of energy
"An inch or two at 300 yards"isstill "flatter"."Almost as flat" is not "just as flat".

And by the way the difference between those two light magnun loads at 300 yards is not 300ft lbs.The 308 win -165gr load has 1898ft lbs at 300 yards,compared to the 7mm-08 -140gr load at 1833ftlbs.That amounts to 65ftlbs whichnot even remotely close to 300ftlbs.

And less recoil is still less recoil even if it is only afew ftlbs.In a light weight rifle with a smaller person,it can make a difference.

But then again in your fantasy world,with your magic gun

308 doesn't recoil at all.
So I guess there is no cartridge thatcould possibly produce less recoil.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flatter" as in 1 inch possibly 2 at 300 yards. I'd gladly trade that for the ability to have 300 more ft/lbs of energy
"An inch or two at 300 yards"isstill "flatter"."Almost as flat" is not "just as flat".

And by the way the difference between those two light magnun loads at 300 yards is not 300ft lbs.The 308 win -165gr load has 1898ft lbs at 300 yards,compared to the 7mm-08 -140gr load at 1833ftlbs.That amounts to 65ftlbs whichnot even remotely close to 300ftlbs.

And less recoil is still less recoil even if it is only afew ftlbs.In a light weight rifle with a smaller person,it can make a difference.
The best Federal load for 7mm-08 is listed at 1654.

The best Federal load for .308 is listed at 1928.

Whoops that is only 274 ft/lbs more not 300 my bad I didn't have the number memorized.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I consider anything within 2 inches not an appreciable difference. Certainly notany differencea hunter is going to have to compensate for there for they are "just as flat". Your grasping at straws.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I guess there is no cartridge thatcould possibly produce less recoil.
Go ahead and post your calculations.

Again, recoil can be mitigated by the shooter. You can't make a cartridge have more energy. If I can stay in my scope then it doesn't have noticable recoil. If your not being hit hard enough to lost sight picture then the recoil is not effecting you and it has no recoil that matters.

Again you're arguing semantics because it's all you have left.

Quick Reply: Quit talking about the 7mm-08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.