Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rebarrel advice

Old 10-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Default rebarrel advice

I was thinking of rebarreling a howa 1500 in .300 win mag, that is, changing the factory barrel to one of the many refined after market barrels available out there today. The research is fun and I'm reaching out to my brethern on the board here as to their experiences, sucesses, and or failures as the result of switching barrels on a rifle. The accuracy is not suffering on this Howa, I like the action and caliber, I'm just bored with what's on the market right now and think I could do better my making what I have into something really special. This is a long range whitetail and medium game shooter. Suggestions on barrels?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rebarrel advice

I have barrels by Kreiger,pac-nor,schneider,gaillard and hart.All are very accurate,but the gaillard & schneider seemed to foul less when new.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Get the highest grade barrel from any of the top after market barrel guys.
They are not cheap but if accuracy is going the be the top requirement for success; don't go less than a #4 contour. Standard contours and less have more whip when shot and are less accurate. If you get anything less, there is a possibilty of ending up with less accuracy than you have now.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Standard contours and less have more whip when shot and are less accurate.
More whip yes,less accurate not necessarily.Smaller contours can be very accurate,but they are more fussyas to bedding and loads,and they do heat up quicker. Below are some typical groupsfrom one of my huntingrifles that has a #3 contour schneider barrel.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM
bigcountry

I have been happy with Krieger in the past, but my last barrel fouled horribly. Could have been a bad ream job. But I have been impressed with Hart and Lilja. Smoothest barrels I have ever seen. Take a look at Lilja.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently had my Sako 75 rebarreled by Hill Country Rifles. They put a 26" Lilja on it and chambered it for the .300 Win Mag at my request. Previously it was a .300 Wby. I haven't had time to do much with it yet, but my first time out with itwasnoteworthy.Usingthe 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (not a bullet I intend to hunt with) and RL22, every group measured less than .5". I'm happy with the barrel and the work that Hill Country did installing it. They're not cheap though.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 AM

Ridge Runner, very very nice rig. Ever try to shoot down the space shuttle?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have no assurance whatever that any barrel you install will be better than the one you have on the gun currently.

I'd have to ask.....what specifically are you attempting to improve?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for all of the great replies, I have been eye ablling the lilja website in particular. Really nice rifle RR! Is that a Boyds stock? Vapo, nothing is really wrong or lacking in the rifle, I'mjust wanting to add on to and possibly improve on what I have. It's pure enjoyment for me! Thanks again for sharing that pic RR. One other question, does it really matter it you mate a blued chrome moly action up with a stainless barrel? I mean other than appearance differances is there any functional differance?