Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rebore Or Rebarrel ?? >

Rebore Or Rebarrel ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rebore Or Rebarrel ??

Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Spike

Default Rebore Or Rebarrel ??

Friend of mine has 2 T/C round ballers, both need work on the inside. ones a .50 andthe othersa .54. He was wondering if it would be cheaper to rebore them then it would to install a new barrel?
Any thoughts--
Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rebore Or Rebarrel ??

I have never rebored a barrel. If the rifles are a Renegade or a Hawkins then have him get a Green Mountain IBS barrel. Other wise he might want to try and lapp the barrel and see if he can make it shoot again.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you say they need work whats the problem? i cant see a barrel being shot out unless youve put 20,000 round balls through it and cleaned it with a steel rod coated with sand. copper isint the issue. if the bores are extremely rusted through or eaten from powder and moisture i would have a gunsmith look at it and if its o.k. to shoo.maybe go with a complete cleaning and lead removal and see what happens. they sell round balls in different sizes as well as patchs and thicknesses. i dont think all is lost. i once believed in only using soap and hot water to clean my guns but a couple years back i tried hoppes 9 gun cleaner and brake cleaner. the barrel shoots as new. i couldnt believe the accuracy difference. just make sure all the petroleum products are swabbed out before shooting .i do this type of cleaning once a year when it gets stored for longer periods. during the hunting season i use hot water and dish detergent.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Spike

The one gun is 20 years old and has been shot real hard and the other he bought for ten dollars
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

to bore or not to bore that tis the question idk just thought it sounded good and its been a long day

i would look for a new barrel
Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

when you say they need work whats the problem? i cant see a barrel being shot out unless youve put 20,000 round balls through it and cleaned it with a steel rod coated with sand. copper isint the issue. if the bores are extremely rusted through or eaten from powder and moisture i would have a gunsmith look at it and if its o.k. to shoo.maybe go with a complete cleaning and lead removal and see what happens. they sell round balls in different sizes as well as patchs and thicknesses. i dont think all is lost. i once believed in only using soap and hot water to clean my guns but a couple years back i tried hoppes 9 gun cleaner and brake cleaner. the barrel shoots as new. i couldnt believe the accuracy difference. just make sure all the petroleum products are swabbed out before shooting .i do this type of cleaning once a year when it gets stored for longer periods. during the hunting season i use hot water and dish detergent.
My son when he was 16 shot his Knight Disc and left it until next season. I couldn't get the bolt out. I took the scope and stock off and soaked the bolt in brake cleaner, then I cleaned the barrel with brake cleaner. You can see a few pits in the barrel, but the gun still shoots well to 75 yards. The brake cleaner did the trick. What is your method of cleaning with the brake cleaner and Hoppes 9?
Chap Gleason
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont mix the 2 .i finish off with the brake cleaner then oil. copper fouling is a whole other animal.it took me several days to get the copper out of an old military rifle.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM

I have a TC Hawken in .45 cal,got it about 30 years ago.It was cheap even for back then.When I got home and ran a patch down the bore powderedrust blew out the nipple.After a brush and quite a few oily patches I still could not get one to come out without rust on it.Then I degreased with acetone,poured some in the barreland ran a couple of patches.Then I poured some Birchwood Casey blue and rust remover in the barrel and ran a patch soaked with itup and down the bore a fwe times.Let it set a couple minuites and dry patched it ,then oiled it.No rust since then.It still shoots pretty good.I can't see well enough any more to hit rabbits with it now at 100 yards but I could back then.Unless you got some really ruff spots that can't be smoothed up,just clean it real good and shoot it.It probably ain't hurt.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bore one of those out to a 20ga if it is 1" and use it as a shotgun and get a GM barrel.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: denis1112

I have a TC Hawken in .45 cal,got it about 30 years ago.It was cheap even for back then.When I got home and ran a patch down the bore powderedrust blew out the nipple.After a brush and quite a few oily patches I still could not get one to come out without rust on it.Then I degreased with acetone,poured some in the barreland ran a couple of patches.Then I poured some Birchwood Casey blue and rust remover in the barrel and ran a patch soaked with itup and down the bore a fwe times.Let it set a couple minuites and dry patched it ,then oiled it.No rust since then.It still shoots pretty good.I can't see well enough any more to hit rabbits with it now at 100 yards but I could back then.Unless you got some really ruff spots that can't be smoothed up,just clean it real good and shoot it.It probably ain't hurt.
Yep, I agree with you, most can be cleaned up with brake cleaner. If that doesn't do a good enough job then do JB bore paste.
Chap Gleason