Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BLR >

Browning BLR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR

Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Browning BLR

I amsearching for a hunting rifle and I've found two that I like in my price range. One is a Browning BLR in .308. Anyone have one of these and if so, what do you think? I've only been hunting deer fortwo years and this will be my first and only rifle (Kansas whitetail and Mule deer). I've borrowed my father-in-laws Savage lever action .243 the last two years.

The other gun I'm considering is a slightly used (6 rounds to sight it in) Savagein the stainless steel, synthetic stock with scope package in .270 WSM. I posted a question earlier about what people's thoughts were on the .270 WSM. I got lots of good feedback on it (some said go for it, others said stick with a standard cartridge like 270, 30-06, 7mm or 308).
Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning BLR

You really can't go wrong with either one of those. I would look at both and see which gun fits you best and which one you like the most. Savage has a excellent reputation for accuracy and the Browning BLR is a excellent lever action. I don't personally own either type but I have friends who do and I shoot both and you should be happy with whichever gun you decide on.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

I've got the BLR in .308 and love it. It's light weight, fast handling and surprisingly accurate for a lever rifle. The 308 cartridge will serve you well for mule deer and whitetail.The 270 wsm is a nice little cartridge and I think the one short mag that really will reallytake off and gain significant popularity. If you want best of both worlds, have the gun shop order you a BLR in 270 wsm.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 PM

I have the Browning BLR in .308. Nice little rifle, very light, and the .308 will do the job. Either one will do the trick. My two "go to" rifles are a Ruger 77 Mk II in 6.5x55se and the BLR in .308. My son uses the Savage cheapest package gun in .30-06 and it has served him very well.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a BLR in 308 for the past 2 seasons, and it has become my "go to" deer rifle. It balances well, points easy, and cycles very quickly. It is quite accurate too.

I use the basic 150 gr Winchester Super X. I've shot 6 deer with it from 35 to 85 yds, all broadside. One fell on the spot (60 yds), while all the others ran a short ways. Blood trails were great, but none of them ran more than 20 yds.

The 308 has become my favorite deer cartridge, and I've used 30-30, 30-06, 7mag, 44 mag, and 45-70. It kills just as fast as the others, and has less recoil, except for the 30-30. And the BLR has become my favorite action.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 AM

I like the BLR alot also. I see on Brownings website that they are introducing it in stainless with a laminated stock. I'm waiting to see if they chamber the BLR for 338 Federal - would make an awesome Black Bear / Hog/ Deer rifle in my opinion. (Don't want to reload for the 358 Winchester so that's why I haven't bought one of those). No experience with the Savage but most everyone here that owns one seems to love it.

Good Luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM

I really appreciate the input everyone. I'm still on the fence . . . new gun or used, good quality and apparently highly regarded gunbased onthe input. I know the ammo is cheaper for the .308 but the 270WSM is "unique" and different . . .
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM

The only advantage I see with the WSM is it's flatter shooting and hits harder at long range. If all of your shots are under 300 or so yards then either will do. You do have to pay more attention to using premium bullets in the WSM for short range shots - some softer bullets may come apart and not penetrate at close range with the WSMs velocity. As for larger game, a premium 140 or 150 in the 270 will do about anything a 150 or 165 will do in the 308. Some 308s don't like 180s because of the normal 1 in 12 barrel twist. Basically comes down to which rifle fits you the best because that is the one you will shoot the best!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Btt,
Where I live in Montana we hunt deer accross vast open wheat feilds broken with coulees and hills.Shot range from feet to 400+ yds.For years my go to deer rifle has been the 25-06 rem.I have killed many deer with this round and so have my freinds.
Well Winchester went and came out with this round called 270 WSM and I have been pining over one for a few years now.I bought a CZ about a year ago and sold it befor I even got it(dumb)but made a pile of money on it,bought a Weatherdy SS Sporter in 270 WSM last fall(had it about 2 boxes or rounds) my brother couldn't live with out it so I sold it.I WAS going to buy the Classic FWT Modle 70 Stainless/wood,but Winchester went out of buissnes beforI could get one.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... befor Browning gose under or something happens I'm buying the 270 WSM in a BLR,I don't care if I have to farm out the wife I'm buying one and I think you should trealy look at that combo(the gun).
If EKM ain't listening might use it on elk,So that would be my choice.
BBJ